Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Question about headlight upgrade

Old 05-24-2012, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about headlight upgrade

I completed an upgrade to the RallyLights Hella HID kit with the Phillips extreme 80 bulbs. Installation was easy, took about 25 minutes. My question is this:

The wiring harness connects to the stock wiring harness on the passenger side. Nothing connects to the driver side stock wiring harness. What do you do to "Plug" that harness from water etc? Filling it with silicone sounds like a good option, but is also a pretty permanent change, or at least would be a real pain to reverse in the future if I ever needed to. Any other ideas?

I thought of maybe popping the bottom off of one of the old bulbs, clicking that in, and then electrical taping the heck out of it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-24-2012, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did the Hella upgrade about a year ago. I just left mine unplugged. It has't caused a problem.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

I just taped (black electrical) over the plug and attached it as high as it would go with a zip tie. No problems after 2 years.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. I ended up taking the bottom off one of the stock lights and sticking it on there, and taping it sealed. Like you I zip tied it up out of the way.

Thanks again!
Old 05-29-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any time I have an opportunity to unplug an electrical pigtail, I coat the connections with dielectric grease. It works really well to keep connections clean and dry whether or not you're going to plug them back into anything. In your case then just tape over it, but you'll have prevented any water, dirt, or rust from fouling the connection in the future.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree. Dielectric grease and electrical tape works good
Old 05-31-2012, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did. I had some extra from some of the connections i use for my boat, and used that. I'm assuming if it will protect against salt water and corrosion it will be good enough!
Old 05-31-2012, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

well

bumb ubm!
Old 06-06-2012, 04:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SCMatt
I completed an upgrade to the RallyLights Hella HID kit with the Phillips extreme 80 bulbs. Installation was easy, took about 25 minutes. My question is this:

The wiring harness connects to the stock wiring harness on the passenger side. Nothing connects to the driver side stock wiring harness. What do you do to "Plug" that harness from water etc? Filling it with silicone sounds like a good option, but is also a pretty permanent change, or at least would be a real pain to reverse in the future if I ever needed to. Any other ideas?

I thought of maybe popping the bottom off of one of the old bulbs, clicking that in, and then electrical taping the heck out of it.

Thanks in advance!
you have a link for your kit? id like to upgrade as well, I just installed the Philips X-Treme 80 bulbs ( H13 9008 ) and just want need more light..
Old 06-09-2012, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

For those who have had this kit for a while, how often do the bulbs burn out? Just curious if doing something like this vs. the truck-lite LED headlights would be better long-term.

Quick Reply: Question about headlight upgrade