Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Question Mobi-Arc Welder

Old 12-27-2009, 07:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question Mobi-Arc Welder

Anyone here running a Mobi-Arc Welder in their JK or other Jeep ? If so whats your impression on it.

This may be my next Mod.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

9 years later.....I bought one today, so I hope they work as advertised. The reviews that I've seen of them in parallel with the other vehicle welders on the market indicate that they work reasonably well and are comparable.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by w squared
9 years later.....I bought one today, so I hope they work as advertised. The reviews that I've seen of them in parallel with the other vehicle welders on the market indicate that they work reasonably well and are comparable.
4 years later....

Did you install it?

Does the JK use the computer to control the alternator (like on my TJ/LJ)?

... I'm about to sell my LJ, that has a Mobi-Arc installed. Which I love. However, wanting to know if it's a similar (easy) install for the JK (3.8 or 3.6). I've contacted Scott, who used to manufacturer the unit, but he was out of town and didn't want to enlighten it seemed. Which is odd, as he was super good with helping me get it installed into my LJ. Even gave me an install kit. My neighbor gave me the Mobi Arc and it sat in a box for 2yrs. Then, on the trail... a friend busted his trackbar bracket... cracked his hood open, and had a Mobi Arc!! I never knew. Safe to say... I came home, and got'er done. Now, I've got a 2015 JKUR and am thinking to move it from the LJ before I sell and put it in the JK.

I need install details!!
Old 08-04-2022, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

AND... I forgot to mention, there's a new player in town....

KARNAGE WELDER

https://karnagewelder.com/

... Might just go down this road, as you can take it to where you need to weld. Don't need 50ft long cables, or to move the weld rig to the job. Plus, I just had my alternator go bad last week on my LJ, so I found a stock replacement and had it swapped in 30min (even with a Kilby style on board air York compressor above it - in 100° heat). Since the LJ doesn't need any alternator re-configuration or mods to use the Mobi-Arc... it's not a big deal when the alternator dies or finding a replacement.

All that goes out the window with a Karnage Welder. Easy peasy.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:58 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Good info on the Karnage, was just looking at portable welders too. For a lot of people, it might be the only welding machine they need. On a side note, the PCM definitely controls the alternator voltage on the 3.8L, so I'd bet the 3.6L is similar.
The following users liked this post:
Johnnyairtime (08-04-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
........... the PCM definitely controls the alternator voltage on the 3.8L, so I'd bet the 3.6L is similar.
Ya think?? If so... and someone can confirm, it'll be a game changer. However, the LJ's computer often throws a "check gauges" light due to it not always seeing the correct voltage. Scott (Mobi Arc) said to cure my issue on the LJ, I'd need to figure out the voltage(s) and run a resistor or capacitor depending on which side the voltage is sitting and where it needs to be. If it'd do the same thing on the 3.6, I'd be a bit frustrated and rather go with a Karnage.

The LJ has it's quirks, but my OCD doesn't like'em when I can avoid them.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:01 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Johnnyairtime
Ya think?? If so... and someone can confirm, it'll be a game changer. However, the LJ's computer often throws a "check gauges" light due to it not always seeing the correct voltage. Scott (Mobi Arc) said to cure my issue on the LJ, I'd need to figure out the voltage(s) and run a resistor or capacitor depending on which side the voltage is sitting and where it needs to be. If it'd do the same thing on the 3.6, I'd be a bit frustrated and rather go with a Karnage.

The LJ has it's quirks, but my OCD doesn't like'em when I can avoid them.
I can download a 3.6L tune file when I get home to check for sure, but that resistor idea sounds problematic.

The voltage on my 3.8L can be programmed (hp tuners), it's actually a voltage curve based on battery temperature. Changes in battery voltage throwing codes while welding may be inevitable -- I've had that while winching, but it takes a while.
Old 08-04-2022, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
I can download a 3.6L tune file when I get home to check for sure, but that resistor idea sounds problematic.

The voltage on my 3.8L can be programmed (hp tuners), it's actually a voltage curve based on battery temperature. Changes in battery voltage throwing codes while welding may be inevitable -- I've had that while winching, but it takes a while.
The resistor "idea" is just to turn off the 'check gauges' light in the TJ/LJ. It's not problematic as much as the "beeeeeeep" and the lit up "check gauges" is annoying.

There are no codes thrown, or not that are read by my code reader. And, the check gauges light is not when welding it's all the time. The alternator feeds the welder, and the welder charges the battery. The welder is now the voltage regulator, and controls battery charge rate/etc. So, the check gauges may be something not fixable... but Scott (Mobi Arc) is who said in the past they'd play with it to get it to not display a check gauge lamp.

... it really needs a bypass. If it was bypassed, and no gauge issue it'd be an awesome rig. 190A stick, controllable by engine RPM (and rod size) is a winner. I've used it a couple of times, and it's just a life saver. However, I just showed the LJ to a buyer... and he wants the welder to stay in the Jeep. So, I think I'll leave it and just go to a suitcase welder (Karnage). Trail repairs are fast and require minimal run time. 15-20min on a mig gun should be plenty to get ya back on the road. It's the prep and everything else that goes along with it. I even carry a cordless grinder/cutoff and spare bolts, and small pcs of flatbar. "Just a welder" isn't always the get home solution.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:44 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Great, sounds like the LJ and the MobiArc found a new home! Just looked some more at the vids and website, the Karnage design has a lot of advantages. Last year my buddy broke a bracket for hydro-assist, but we were extremely lucky that it happened leaving a gas station before heading out into the desert. Long story, but it got us thinking about a portable welder. If you get one soon, I'd appreciate reading your opinion on it.

Last edited by Mr.T; 08-04-2022 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Question Mobi-Arc Welder