Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Question on wiring Hella Black Magics

Old 12-28-2010, 02:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on wiring Hella Black Magics

Used search and found a lot about these lights, but not an answer to this question...

Just got some Hella Black Magic 1000's and getting ready to install. I have a wiring question. The wiring kit that comes with the BMs has a relay that has one connection you are supposed to wire into the high beam power lead in order to only allow the BMs to turn on when the high beams are on. If I want to wire this so I can turn on the BMs even with the high beams off, could I run the lead that was directed to tap into the high beam power lead straight to the battery positive terminal? That way it would always be hot and I could turn on the BMs even when all other lights were off. My only worry is that I might fry something if the high beam line is less power and by doing this I could overpower the relay.

TIA,
Paul

Last edited by Paul R; 12-28-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:24 AM
t78
JK Newbie

i've got some experience with relays unless thats a weird one if u chose to not use the highbeam wire you'll need to put a switch on your new wire or your lights will be on all the time. think of that wire as a control wire all it does is energize the relay to allow power to flow from battery to lights
and about damaging the relay 12 volts is 12 volts it will only draw the current it needs to energize which is a very small amount
hope this helps

Last edited by t78; 12-28-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

The kit already has a switch to wire into the relay. The high beam wire is just some sort of gate that when powered, allows power to the supplied switch. If the high beam line is cold, the switch will not work.

I think I will try it and see how it does. I really want to be able to turn on the BMs without having to have the high beams on.

Thanks for your help.

-------
Paul
Old 12-29-2010, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

All done and it worked. I can turn on the Hellas by themselves, with the low beams, or the high beams. Now I just need to watch my battery and ensure that having the relay energized continuously doesn't run down the battery. If it does, I will move the wire to someplace that is only hot when the ignition is on.

-----
Paul
Old 12-30-2010, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

Paul,

What did you end up running the relay to? I've got the same lights and I spent all yesterday trying to run them with my original fog lights but I guess its too much of a load. Now I'm looking at either splicing it with the low beams or connecting to the fuse box.

Theo

Quick Reply: Question on wiring Hella Black Magics