Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Questions about adding an aftermarket sub to Infinity system

Old 03-27-2009, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry still have'nt mastered the free click.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

What about the wiring? Where did you take your signal from? Did you use any sort of LOC or does the amp take a high level input? What about the sub rolloff?

Boy I'm full of questions!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by swanni06
What the hell is a LOC?? sorry if thats a stupid question

I used to call them a high low converter back in the day. Splice the speaker wires from the rear and converts them to RCA signal so you can hook up a sub
Old 03-27-2009, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

No we installed a Kenwood 5120 deck, sorry should have mentioned that, when we bought the jeep, we looked at two identical jeeps except one had mygig in it and it was $2500.00 higher. So we bought the cheaper one and then went to the audio shop and had the kenwood installed for 999.00 with Garmin Nav.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can buy line-level convertors for like $25.00 and use the factory speaker wires to convert to rca and hook up any amp.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

If you don't already have the stock sub, is the wiring still there, hidden somewhere, or would you need to use LOC and tap into the soundbar? Is the power already there as well?
I'm hoping there is a plug already wired in the back of the jeep with audio and power.

Last edited by JK Rocker; 03-27-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maxjk
No we installed a Kenwood 5120 deck, sorry should have mentioned that, when we bought the jeep, we looked at two identical jeeps except one had mygig in it and it was $2500.00 higher. So we bought the cheaper one and then went to the audio shop and had the kenwood installed for 999.00 with Garmin Nav.
Ah okay. I would have never got the MyGig either, but I got my JK used and it came along with it. For the money far better can be had, but since this is already here, I might as well keep using it.

I also like the stock look for going topless
Old 03-27-2009, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I understand that, I would find a good audio shop and get them to give you a price on what you want to do and list of what you need and then do it yourself if thier to high, I do that all the time, the installer I used wanted like $250.00 just to make the subbox so I did it myself for like $75 after finding how much airspace the box needed. When we go topless we take the box out.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maxjk
I understand that, I would find a good audio shop and get them to give you a price on what you want to do and list of what you need and then do it yourself if thier to high, I do that all the time, the installer I used wanted like $250.00 just to make the subbox so I did it myself for like $75 after finding how much airspace the box needed. When we go topless we take the box out.
True, there is that option. Right now I'm mostly trying to get my head around exactly how this proprietary system works.

For my sub(s) I plan on eventually doing a stealth install under the back seats that should keep everything safely out of sight

Quick Reply: Questions about adding an aftermarket sub to Infinity system