Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

quick BATTERY size questions

Old 03-12-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What group size is the battery for the Jeep 4 door ?????? Is it 34

Also Sears diehard " platinum" is that the one of choice when it comes to the sears diehard brand?? I also see gold etc

Finally is the platinum a Deep cycle???

Thanks everyone

Last edited by robsjeep9; 03-12-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:55 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
What group size is the battery for the Jeep 4 door ?????? Is it 34

Also Sears diehard " platinum" is that the one of choice when it comes to the sears diehard brand?? I also see gold etc

Finally is the platinum a Deep cycle???

Thanks everyone
Size 34
Sears DieHard Platinum was my choice. It has a very good warranty.

I believe it falls somewhere between a very good start cycle, and a deep cycle. Not really a deep cycle, but better than a flooded wet cell non-deep cycle.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think WOL did a write up on this awhile ago
Old 03-12-2012, 04:57 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx

Size 34
Sears DieHard Platinum was my choice.

I believe it falls somewhere between a very good start cycle, and a deep cycle. Not really a deep cycle, but better than a flooded wet cell non-deep cycle.
Thanks..... Do you by chance know the cranking amps???
Old 03-12-2012, 04:58 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by snopro269
I think WOL did a write up on this awhile ago
I'm on a shitty iPhone what choice of words should I choose to try and find this thread? Thx
Old 03-12-2012, 05:02 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Thanks..... Do you by chance know the cranking amps???
It's made by the same people who make Odyssey batteries.

• 4-year FREE Replacement, 100 Month Pro-Rated Limited Warranty
  • 880 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) - Reliable starting power in all weather conditions, due to the use of 99.99% pure virgin lead plates and tin-coated brass terminals
  • 135 Minutes of reserve capacity - Ideal for luxury vehicles with multiple electronic accessories
  • Longer off-season storage time – Ideal for show cars & classic cars
  • AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) construction - Provides mounting flexibility & guarantees longer service life
  • Worry and maintenance-free operation - High purity grade acid held safely in place by glass mats makes a non-spillable design that gives mounting flexibility
  • Military-grade construction & proven vibration resistance – Ideal for off road applications
Old 03-12-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx

It's made by the same people who make Odyssey batteries.

[*]4-year FREE Replacement, 100 Month Pro-Rated Limited Warranty

[*]880 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) - Reliable starting power in all weather conditions, due to the use of 99.99% pure virgin lead plates and tin-coated brass terminals

[*]135 Minutes of reserve capacity - Ideal for luxury vehicles with multiple electronic accessories

[*]Longer off-season storage time – Ideal for show cars & classic cars

[*]AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) construction - Provides mounting flexibility & guarantees longer service life

[*]Worry and maintenance-free operation - High purity grade acid held safely in place by glass mats makes a non-spillable design that gives mounting flexibility

[*]Military-grade construction & proven vibration resistance – Ideal for off road applications
Sweet !!!!!!! SOLD !!!!!!
Thanks just that my nearest Sears automotive is like over an hour away!!!!!!!!'
from Kitchener Ontario Canada....

I have an Interstate battery place 3 minutes away!!!!!!

ANY THOUGHTS ON THEM??!!
Old 03-12-2012, 05:19 PM
JK Super Freak

I have owned a few interstate batteries. I usually purchase the Alaska Rated ones because they have higher CCA ratings. I am not sure if interstate has an Alaska version though for Jeeps.
I will look for that WOL thread
Old 03-12-2012, 05:23 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm on a shitty iPhone what choice of words should I choose to try and find this thread? Thx
Goto project JK and under write ups the electrical section
It's the most current write up in that section
I just looked it up on my iPhone do you should be good to go

DieHard Platinum Battery for
a 2012-Up Jeep JK Wrangler
February 20th, 2012 | Category: CB, Lighting & Electrical

So, for some reason, Jeep decided to change the type of battery they use in the Jeep JK Wrangler from a Group 34, which was used in 2007-11, to a Group 91 which is now used in all 2012's and I presume, on up. While this really shouldn't be that big of a deal, the terminals on a Group 91 battery are opposite to those on a Group 34 and, this makes it near impossible to hook up the leads or, at least not without having to do some modifications. Of course, as luck would have it, a Group 91 battery or it's equivalent, a Group 48, isn't really a common size you find in a deep cycle format and unfortunately, not something that's available in a Sears Diehard Platinum, Odyssey or even Optima.

Being that we have a winch on our 2012 JK and that we like to carry around our ARB Fridge Freeze with us on the trail, installing a deep cycle battery was pretty high on our to do list and, after doing some research, this is what I found.

Pulling out the factory battery, I noticed that there was a plastic spacer installed that I can only guess is designed to help the battery from sliding around...

Having said that, this spacer was pretty flimsy and had a push tab that allowed it to be removed as shown...

As you can see here, with the spacer removed, you can easily fit a 13? long battery...

With a 13?x7? base, I had originally considered installing a DieHard PM-1 Group 31 Marine Battery which is that exact measurement but, as I would soon discover, it doesn't come with a footing and so, there was no way to secure it down with the batterFortunatelyp.

Fortuantely, the Sears DieHard P-5 Group 35 battery does have the base footing and could be secured without any problems using the clamp...

While the Group 35 is just on the short side in terms of length, the clamp does seem to do a good job of holding the battery in place...

Shot of what it looks like installed. As you can see, the battery fits great and is a nice deep cycle improvement over the factory unit and one that has 140 more cold cranking amps and a 100 min reserve capacity...

If you've got a 2012 JK and are in the market for a good deep cycle replacement battery, I would highly recoPlatinumetting a DieHard Platnum P-5. While they are pricey, they are essentially repackaged Odyssey Batteries and worth every penny. I've run Optimas in the past and have since found these are a much better option.

Last edited by snopro269; 03-12-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Sweet !!!!!!! SOLD !!!!!!
Thanks just that my nearest Sears automotive is like over an hour away!!!!!!!!'
from Kitchener Ontario Canada....

I have an Interstate battery place 3 minutes away!!!!!!

ANY THOUGHTS ON THEM??!!
I know it's for a 2012 but there's some good info in it

Quick Reply: quick BATTERY size questions