Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

radio with Nav

Old 07-14-2017, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio with Nav

I may be buying a new jeep. But the on e like don't have the 430N radio with NAV. I like that style because I can download ally own music and it s plug n ply for audio books. What options are out there that
1 would look factory pretty much
2 have a hard drive like the that you can down load to
3 have the ability to plug an iPhone for audible Books
4 and even if possible be able to load differing maps ( topographic ) into it

AND MOST IMPORT FiT into the slot that the basic radiator occupies?
oh and it has to be a direct plus in no wring needed.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 430 head unit

Some prefer aftermarket units and occasionally there are take-outs available from others that have changed out their unit so you can pick up a used one from one of the forums or other sources. If you get the 430N you also have navigation as you mentioned. A plus for this is that with the 430N you can upload your own trails and way points. I have dozens of trails and well over 1500 way points entered into my 430N. There is a selection of "maps" you can select but you cannot upload one of your own. You also mentioned you wanted to pair your phone. Be aware that with the 430 a separate Uconnect module is needed for Bluetooth. (Bluetooth is built into the 730 which is the other "standard" radio that comes with our Jeeps.)

I've had both the 730 and the 430. Jeep bills the 730 as their "premier" unit....and they charge accordingly. However, you can't upload your own way points into the 730.

If you choose to purchase a 430, make certain that it is the right bus speed for your vehicle.

As an alternate, there is a good selection of aftermarket units that have lots of features and options.

You mentioned you are buying a NEW Jeep. Remember, the dealer can install a 430N as a dealer option...However, MAKE SURE you know the price of this BEFORE they actually do it as dealer installed options tend to be expensive. If the dealer installed the unit it is covered by warranty which is something to consider.

Good luck,

KG6SLC aka Eugene

Last edited by KG6SLC; 07-18-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Neither the 430N or the 730N are worth the ridiculous price Jeep still charges for those units that are literally utilizing decade-old technology. Likewise, the HD included in the 730N is an antiquated gimmick considering you can buy a 128GB USB flash drive for less than $35 at Staples.

Save your money, get the cheapest radio with your Jeep, then go aftermarket. Literally any unit you buy, even some cheap Chinese garbage unit from Amazon or eBay, is going to be better than the 430N/730N and most likely cost you less. As for navigation, as I mentioned in another thread, you're better off just using your phone. No auto or audio manufacturer has made a navigation system in a radio that's worth half a shit, not to mention you need to pay $149 a year for map updates on top of any subscription fee for live traffic. Even your old cellphone from 5 years ago had a better navigation app than what Chrysler offers in their brand new UConnect RA3 system that'll finally debut in the next generation Wrangler.

I know it's not what you wanna hear, but there really isn't one stand out aftermarket unit for the Wrangler that rocks. Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, and the rest do make good audio systems, but their software and user interfaces to this day still look like they were designed by an 8-year-old. Nonethless, they're still much better than what Jeep is using in the JK.

Last edited by Spank; 07-18-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

Default 430 n

maybe I am just to f--- old but I like the 430N I put a locpic on it wired up 2 front camera and a back up camera downloaded 2000 songs and run audio books through it from my iPhone,the map system have is 10 years so there are lots of new roads but most of the time I do just fine. I am a geologist so I am always going somewhere I haven't been, But let me ask youths because you seem far more knowledge able than me could I do all that with an aftermarket system and have all the steering wheel doodads an batons work correctly

Do any of the aftermarket radio have a hard drive in them? Could you run an off road mapping gps program through the screen? something Gaia or us topomaps? Can I download to a hard drive 2000 songs ?

do you know of a radio that can do that stuff?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with those that like the 430n for the features that it has. This is particularly true for the off-road navigation. Besides the previously-mentioned ability to upload all your waypoints with a single csv file, I've found that the 430n covers at least 95% of all the off-road trails I've ever been on out here in the western US. I don't know that an after-market head unit can do either of these. I find that the 430n complements my iPad mini with GPS chip and Gaia topo software rather nicely; the iPad sits in the dash tray and between these two devices, it's pretty rare that I ever make a wrong turn on the trail

Quick Reply: radio with Nav