Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Radio/Speaker Suggestions

Old 06-05-2017, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio/Speaker Suggestions

Long story short I had an 07 with the infinity sound that was acceptable. Now I went and bought a 2017. It has the factory nav with steering wheel controls but apparently I missed that is has no phone connectivity and the speakers suck. The front passenger has a problem and it has already been replaced under warranty and its only got 600 miles on the jeep.

So my questions are........How can I add Bluetooth to my existing radio or would I be better off to sell it (don't know the value) and go with an aftermarket head unit.

What are good upgrade speakers I just want better sound quality I would like to stay away from having to add an amp.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Haven't changed out the head unit, but have upgraded to the Higher end kicker speakers and really does sound better
Old 06-05-2017, 07:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I've researched this myself. I'm not a sound snob at all, but have wanted something a little better than my factory speakers. I've seen decent comments about the Kickers....especially the ones for the dash. They seem to be a decent option for the price without breaking the bank. Still have not pulled the trigger on anything yet.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
I've researched this myself. I'm not a sound snob at all, but have wanted something a little better than my factory speakers. I've seen decent comments about the Kickers....especially the ones for the dash. They seem to be a decent option for the price without breaking the bank. Still have not pulled the trigger on anything yet.

That's the way I was leaning now to figure out the Bluetooth issue.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

I recently purchased a new 2017 Rubicon that came with the base stereo. I upgraded the head unit with a Kenwood DDX9903S touchscreen with Android Auto. It is super clean and fits right in the stock hole in the dash. We added a backup camera and upgraded all the speakers to the Kickers. It sounded way better than stock. Then I went to Wally World and bought a sub woofer-amp combo for under $100 in order to get some bass. It actually sounds pretty good. This new head unit allows us to maintain all steering wheel controls, keep Bluetooth, and we can monitor gauges like speedometer, engine temp, TPMS, and we can even see what codes come up if the engine light comes on. The Android Auto is pretty cool as well. We can use google voice to input navigation and make phone calls without touching any buttons. Hope this helps.

Justin
Old 06-05-2017, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nvusmcsgt
I recently purchased a new 2017 Rubicon that came with the base stereo. I upgraded the head unit with a Kenwood DDX9903S touchscreen with Android Auto. It is super clean and fits right in the stock hole in the dash. We added a backup camera and upgraded all the speakers to the Kickers. It sounded way better than stock. Then I went to Wally World and bought a sub woofer-amp combo for under $100 in order to get some bass. It actually sounds pretty good. This new head unit allows us to maintain all steering wheel controls, keep Bluetooth, and we can monitor gauges like speedometer, engine temp, TPMS, and we can even see what codes come up if the engine light comes on. The Android Auto is pretty cool as well. We can use google voice to input navigation and make phone calls without touching any buttons. Hope this helps.

Justin

How are you able to view the engine parameters. If it's an android thing I have an iPhone.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alf1096
Long story short I had an 07 with the infinity sound that was acceptable. Now I went and bought a 2017. It has the factory nav with steering wheel controls but apparently I missed that is has no phone connectivity and the speakers suck. The front passenger has a problem and it has already been replaced under warranty and its only got 600 miles on the jeep.

So my questions are........How can I add Bluetooth to my existing radio or would I be better off to sell it (don't know the value) and go with an aftermarket head unit.

What are good upgrade speakers I just want better sound quality I would like to stay away from having to add an amp.
On the older Nav units the jack for the uConnect mic is physically present on the back of the unit. I'm pretty sure that's still the case. If so you can simply buy the mic from your local dealer and turn it on in the hidden options menu. There used to be a great MyGig unoffical site but it's been taken down.

Originally Posted by nvusmcsgt
This new head unit allows us to maintain all steering wheel controls, keep Bluetooth, and we can monitor gauges like speedometer, engine temp, TPMS, and we can even see what codes come up if the engine light comes on.
Justin
I'm interested in knowing this as well. Is this a function of your specific head unit?

Quick Reply: Radio/Speaker Suggestions