Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Recycling factory foglight wiring?

Old 07-01-2010, 03:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Recycling factory foglight wiring?

Hey guys, Im going to be adding a PureJeep bare bonez front bumper in a few weeks and it doesnt accomodate factory foglamps. I was wondering if I could use the wiring for the foglamps to run a set of aftermarket lights on the bumper?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running a set of PIAA lights on the factory wiring for over a year, never had a problem.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Harbourone
Hey guys, Im going to be adding a PureJeep bare bonez front bumper in a few weeks and it doesnt accomodate factory foglamps. I was wondering if I could use the wiring for the foglamps to run a set of aftermarket lights on the bumper?
I was wondering the same question...? I just put a smittybuilt bumper and winch on with some ProComp 7" lights. The lights are 100watts and pull 8.3amps each. I can not find what the OEM fog lights pull in amps? The wire looks to be to small. The light kit I bought for the off road lights comes with with a 40amp relay and a 30amp inline fuse. /the wire is12ga. I just picked up 4 daystar rocker switches and Daystar replacement panel for the dash. I figured I would not use the fog wiring and switch. Would also like input on what to do. It would be much easier to use the existing fog wiring....?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:37 AM
JK Super Freak

I was told by the guys at 4wd Parts (Santa Ana) that you cannot use the factory wiring for aftermarket lights. They say the wiring is too small. I have no reason not to believe them, but I did have them tuck the wires up under for future use.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This comes up a lot. There are many older threads on this. It is a yes and no answer, yes you can, if you use small wattage aftermarket lights, if you use something like KC's then no, you'll exceed the draw of the factory fogs & the computer will read it as a fault and shut them down.

I am running 100W KC's and i use the factory wiring to trigger the relay that came with them, not to power them. The relay grabs juice directly from the battery. (That way there is negligible draw on the factory wiring, far less than the original fogs had)

The way i wired them i still use my factory stalk switch to turn them on/off.

this is how my aftermarket fogs are wired into the factory wiring:
Old 07-01-2010, 11:02 AM
JK Freak

so if i used hella fogs 55 watts will it be ok to use the fatory wires and switch
Old 07-02-2010, 04:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, some of you guys have wiring knowledge that baffles me. Maybe its time for me to get a book or two and read them. I can ride, rope, and weld, but when you get into relays and fuses and whatnot im lost.

Ill look at your diagram and see if i can make some sense of it happy. Thanks!

Edit: Just looked at the diagram and it looks like until I get that book I'm still lost. I wonder if anyone around here wires proffesionally like that...

Last edited by Harbourone; 07-02-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, some of you guys have wiring knowledge that baffles me. Maybe its time for me to get a book or two and read them. I can ride, rope, and weld, but when you get into relays and fuses and whatnot im lost.

Edit: Just looked at the diagram and it looks like until I get that book I'm still lost. I wonder if anyone around here wires proffesionally like that...
Yea they do but it will cost ya. Just take your time and ask plenty of questions. Like PowderMonkey said. Your with us now.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:56 AM
JK Freak

Harbourone, I'm guessing it's the relay wiring that makes you find Happy's diagram a bit intimidating, and that if you understood the pinouts on the relay, everything else will probably make sense. If that's the case, here are a couple of links that might help explain how a relay works and how to wire it:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/faq-...w-wire-up.html
http://www.reuk.co.uk/Automotive-Relays.htm

Hopefully this helps. If not, ask again. There's a wealth of free help on this forum. No need to buy a book.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
This comes up a lot. There are many older threads on this. It is a yes and no answer, yes you can, if you use small wattage aftermarket lights, if you use something like KC's then no, you'll exceed the draw of the factory fogs & the computer will read it as a fault and shut them down.

I am running 100W KC's and i use the factory wiring to trigger the relay that came with them, not to power them. The relay grabs juice directly from the battery. (That way there is negligible draw on the factory wiring, far less than the original fogs had)

The way i wired them i still use my factory stalk switch to turn them on/off.

this is how my aftermarket fogs are wired into the factory wiring:
This makes sense to me, I've done the same in the post on other vehicles. My question to you though... did you find a way to bypass the fog light "kill" when the high beams are on? Otherwise if you wanted your high beams and off road lights on at the same time you'd be out of luck.

Quick Reply: Recycling factory foglight wiring?