Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Red dot above the temp gauge...

Old 03-22-2014, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Red dot above the temp gauge...

In case anyone ever runs into this...so I went to start my 2014 wrangler today and it would start, run for about two seconds and then shut off. I noticed this red dot above the temp gauge. I tried multiple times and the light would stay lit, but the car would not run. I was in a hurry, so I asked my wife to pick me up. After some internet searching, I found this youtube link and it did fix the problem. It basically was a security issue and I had to pull a fuse for about 30 seconds and the issue was resolved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0HQ7B6mPvs So my question is, has anyone ever seen this before? The jeep is still under warranty, and I'm wondering will this be a common issue for me, should I still take it in or is this likely a one-time incident? I guess I'll end up waiting to see if this happens again, and I'll take it in then.
The following users liked this post:
Desert Rose (09-15-2021)
Old 03-22-2014, 12:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Mine did it twice in a five day period. That was three or four years ago, and hasn't done it since. 137K miles on my Jeep. Can't believe they didn't label that light. First time it happened to me was late one night, so ended up towing Jeep to friend's home and leaving overnight.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read somewhere here in the forum that the red light is on when it's reading the code from your key. It goes off when the code matches and then you can start the vehicle.

that said, when it goes on as you turn the key is GOOD; but if it stays on after a couple of seconds, not good!

Some people with that same problem, disconnected the battery for up to 1 hour and it solved the problem, others were not that lucky. Are you using one of the original keys, or a replacement? If a replacement, does it have an internal chip? was it properly coded?

Check that.

Hope it helps
The following users liked this post:
jasper_15 (02-10-2022)
Old 03-22-2014, 12:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Can't believe they didn't label that light. First time it happened to me was late one night, so ended up towing Jeep to friend's home and leaving overnight.
Not labeled, but there is a whole section on that light in the owner's manual.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Vuck Roger

Some people with that same problem, disconnected the battery for up to 1 hour and it solved the problem, others were not that lucky.
Hope it helps
Pulling up on the IOD fuse holder for a few seconds, then reseating it will reset the wireless control module. No need to disconnect the battery.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:19 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Not labeled, but there is a whole section on that light in the owner's manual.
I read the entire owners manual, cover-to-cover, a month before taking delivery of my Jeep. Then, nearly four years later, when leaving my church late one night after doing some volunteer work by myself, the Jeep would not start. I posted the problem to this forum, and got a couple suggestions from folks, while still trying to get home. You may have even responded! But was not able to get it started, and the friend who came out to help was eager to get home and into bed. So we towed the Jeep to his home, which was nearby. One can have volumes on what the lamp does, but a simple damned label would have probably been enough to trigger my very distant memories of it. That is, had I even seen the light, since I didn't notice it until the next day.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 03-22-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info.

Life is better in 4 low
Tom
Old 10-15-2019, 07:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for this! 5 Years later, this fix still worked for me and my Jeep Patriot this (chilly) morning. I drove it and left it at the dealership just in case, to have a look at it but it saved me a tow!!

Quick Reply: Red dot above the temp gauge...