Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Relay Question

Old 02-01-2009, 08:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been reading about this on 12v dot com and now I am even more confused about how it is working the way I currently have it set up...
Old 02-02-2009, 03:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your getting power from your reverse lights through the relay ( term 87A to term 30 ) and powering your new lights. NOT GOOD. I think the best way is to use two relays. Have your new switch control one relay while your reverse lights control the other. Click image for larger version

Name:	relay.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	18672 Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Your getting power from your reverse lights through the relay ( term 87A to term 30 ) and powering your new lights. NOT GOOD. I think the best way is to use two relays. Have your new switch control one relay while your reverse lights control the other. Attachment 18672 Hope this helps.
I agree. Not cool. All you've done is skip the relay altogether by lighting the KCs directly with your backup lights. 87a is connected to 30 at all times the relay is not energized. (That would be the "NC" -normally closed) You're at risk for toasting your vehicle wires unless the body computer sees the excess power first and shuts down the backup lights. You most definitely NEED a relay to isolate the backup lights from the KCs. You need to fix this ASAP.

JK-Ford went an extra few steps by showing two relays AND a diode. The advantage of using a diode is to isolate the backup lights (and more importantly, the body computer) from getting a spike when the relay is turned off. It is a very good idea not to send voltage spikes back through the system. The body computer in the JK "should" have built-in suppression, but who knows where DC cut costs. It would be an easy way for the dealer to void your warranty if the body computer failed and you hadn't protected it from backfed spikes.

The second relay keeps the high power out of the switch and preserves its life. KC's diagram indicates their 6303 switch is capable of handling the high power of directly feeding their lights. Switch contacts are rated for particular uses and made out of appropriate materials. Running high power through a low power switch will burn up the contacts. Running low power through a high power switch will allow material to build up on the contacts. You should strongly consider JK-Ford's recommendation for a second relay if you find that your switch is not rated for high power. (Don't get confused by him showing 85 and 86 reversed from KC or me. The relay in your pic doesn't care about polarity on these two terminals. -One of the few cases where polarity does NOT matter with DC voltage.)
Old 02-02-2009, 07:46 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks sixt7gt350 for backing me up on that. I actualy went even one step further by installing an in-line fuse at the location where I picked up the reverse light circuit. To hard to draw everything in using PAINT. I used the same system on my rock lights tied in with the dome lights. And the KC driving lights tied in with the high beams. Made for one heck of a relay bank ( 7 in all counting the KC pencil beams ). Very pleasd with how everything turned out. And piece of mind that everything is protected.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Ok, thanks for the relplys, I should clearify a couple things...

I am not using the KC lights I am just following the wiring diagram. I dont know if it matters but im just using pilot 55W lights.

I currently left the wire from the stock reverse lights unhooked from the relay and taped off...I was waiting for some replys on here before I did anything...

Is there a safe way to hook this all up using only one relay, even if its not the one I pictured? If I need a diode, what kind, where do I buy and how do I hook it up??

Thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 11:34 AM
JK Junkie

As far as I can see, the only safe way to use only one relay will be to use only one trigger circuit. Eathier the switch or the reverse light circuit but not both. The diode could be located anywhere between the relay and where you tap into the reverse circuit. I put mine at the relay. And I put a fuse at the tie in to the reverse circuit. The diode is intended to protect spikes from the relay. And the fuse protects the reverse circuit.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
As far as I can see, the only safe way to use only one relay will be to use only one trigger circuit. Eathier the switch or the reverse light circuit but not both. The diode could be located anywhere between the relay and where you tap into the reverse circuit. I put mine at the relay. And I put a fuse at the tie in to the reverse circuit. The diode is intended to protect spikes from the relay. And the fuse protects the reverse circuit.
Ok, by looking at your diagram I guess I just need 2 frong relays??

Also, where can I get and how do I hook up the diode?

Thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 11:41 AM
JK Junkie

You can get the diodes from you local electronics supply shack. I used a 1 amp diode since it only has the load of the relay. The diode has a colered cap on one side ( refer to drawing ). Power will only pass one way.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

God that makes my head hurt.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Okie4WD
God that makes my head hurt.
+1

I assume I just solder the diode into the wire??
I bought a soldering iron once...didn't work out too well for me...lol

Too bad you cant buy a small piece of wire with the diode already soldered in...

Quick Reply: Relay Question