Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Relay Question

Old 02-01-2009, 09:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relay Question

Im out in my garage trying to re-wire my back up lights to come on by switch AND by putting the jeep in Reverse.

I am following the schematic for KC back up lights. Below is the picture of the relay I am using from NAPA auto parts. I cant get this to work, no matter what I do, my switch lights up in the on AND the off position , but no fog lights...

The schematic is here:
http://www.kchilites.com/faq/instruc...517_backup.pdf

86: to ground
87: to fog lights (white wire)
87A: to center on switch
85: to white wire w/ gray stripe (factory reverse--i checked)
30: to battery with inline fuse
in addition, all fuses are good, and all wire connections are good, if I touch the wire from the fogs (87 outside) to the wire from the switch (87 A) the lights come on, it is when I add the relay that I only get the little red light from the switch and no fogs...

Last edited by jmat1980; 02-01-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Ok, well I got it to work, here is what I did:
85-Ground
87-Battery W/Fuse
86-To the switch
87A-to factory Reverse lights
30-White (+) wire on Fogs

I currently left the Factory Reverse lights Unhooked, I want to get some feedback from the guys on the forum here to make sure I wont mess anything up...
Does this look ok to you guys??
Old 02-01-2009, 11:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that doesn't make any sense, the diagram has it right. Sounds like you have it backwards to me... 87 definitely needs to be the switch and the light, not to the battery and lights. you want the switch to turn the relay on. if its done right you'll have to have the factory lights hooked up in order for the circuit to complete and turn on the relay which turns on the reverse lights. did you not have them hooked up the first time you had it all hooked up?

Last edited by JackMac4; 02-01-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:09 PM
JK Super Freak

85 and 86 energize the solenoid, changing 30 from 87a to 87 on your relay pic.
30 should always be your hot (12V+) feed.
You're not going to mimic the KC circuit with that relay.
87a on that relay is the NC circuit. (normally closed to 30)
There are relays that have twin NO terminals, which is what the KC diagram looks like.
To light the KCs with the switch directly, they were using the second 87 terminal as a splice of sorts.
You need to go back to NAPA for a relay with two 87 terminals or splice your switch wire to the output (87) terminal of the relay.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

here is a scheme how the relay work
hope it helps you
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	relay.GIF
Views:	174
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	18634  
Old 02-01-2009, 02:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
There are relays that have twin NO terminals, which is what the KC diagram looks like.
To light the KCs with the switch directly, they were using the second 87 terminal as a splice of sorts.
You need to go back to NAPA for a relay with two 87 terminals or splice your switch wire to the output (87) terminal of the relay.
So If i get a relay with 2 87 terminals (NO 87A terminal) then it will work the way the KC schematic has it??

Like I said, I had it all hooked up the way the diagram shows and I got nothing, only the little light on the switch was on,...

Then when I changed it around to this it worked. The lights came on via the switch and they came on via the vehicle being in reverse.
85-Ground
87-Battery W/Fuse
86-To the switch

This is only my second time using a relay, the first was to wire my windshield lights and I just followed all the instructions...now that im trying to get creative with it, my head hurts...
Old 02-01-2009, 02:41 PM
JK Super Freak

So If i get a relay with 2 87 terminals (NO 87A terminal) then it will work the way the KC schematic has it??

Like I said, I had it all hooked up the way the diagram shows and I got nothing, only the little light on the switch was on,...and it was on regardless of the switch position

Then when I changed it around to this it worked. The lights came on via the switch and they came on via the vehicle being in reverse.
85-Ground
87-Battery W/Fuse
86-To the switch

This is only my second time using a relay, the first was to wire my windshield lights and I just followed all the instructions...now that im trying to get creative with it, my head hurts...
Old 02-01-2009, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

For what you want, you don't want to use the NC terminal at all. (87a)

If you can't find a twin terminal relay, just splice or crimp the switched wire with the same terminal as the reverse light wire on the 87 terminal.

I looked around a little and twin NO terminal relays are rare as hen's teeth. KC may have just made the diagram look like two terminals, but meant to show both wires going the 87 terminal.

30: fused 12V
85: from factory backup lights
87: to both switch output and KC lights
87a: nothing

You could also get creative and use diodes to feed 85 with both the switch and the factory light, but that might be more than you want to chew.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:32 PM
JK Super Freak

For what you want, you don't want to use the NC terminal at all. (87a)

If you can't find a twin terminal relay, just splice or crimp the switched wire with the same terminal as the reverse light wire on the 87 terminal.

I looked around a little and twin NO terminal relays are rare as hen's teeth. KC may have just made the diagram look like two terminals, but meant to show both wires going the 87 terminal.

30: fused 12V
85: from factory backup lights
87: to both switch output and KC lights
87a: nothing

You could also get creative and use diodes to feed 85 with both the switch and the factory light, but that might be more than you want to chew.
When you say twin terminal you mean a relay with two 87 terminals (which basically do the same thing)?? I think I understand...

But does anyone know how it is actually working the way I currently have it hooked up?? Right now it is:
85-Ground
87-Battery W/Fuse
86-To the switch

It is working with both reverse and the switch, but I just don't want to mess anything up with the JK lighting system or the computer...
Old 02-01-2009, 07:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by newjeeper
here is a scheme how the relay work
hope it helps you
This looks kosher.....

Quick Reply: Relay Question