Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Replace 09 JKU Headlights

Old 11-04-2017, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace 09 JKU Headlights

I have an 09 JKU with factory headlights. Looking for feedback what folks have upgraded to and why. I now live in a rual area, no street lights...yea, and want to get more light.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-04-2017, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm running heated truck lites and am pleased with them. I started with the non-heated ones and found that they covered in snow/ice too easily. Some folks don't like the light pattern so you may want to look for some of the threads that show this.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

I upgraded to a set of H4 units I had planned on installing in my CJ7. Better than stock but still not great. My stock lenses were badly scratched by the PO and I like having the glass lenses.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a brand new set of rigid truck lite led head lights if you decide to go that route.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

If typically when you buy a new vehicle you are happy with the OEM headlights, but you're just disappointed with the Jeep's OEM lamps (almost everyone is), then these headlights from IPF should satisfy you at a decent price point. I use the cheapest pair of Sylvania bulbs I could find ($20), and am happy with them.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/h...gaAkW0EALw_wcB

If you do opt for LED lights and you're delighted because they put out so much more light down the road, then please go back and readjust them properly. I (and many other folks) am getting tired of being blinded by rude people who don't properly adjust the cut-off on their new lights.
The following users liked this post:
Cascade Wanderer (03-22-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

My H4s were aiming too high at first. I had to adjust them down quite a bit.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a set of Cibie's and H4's to install this weekend. I prefer halogen over LED for driving lights. That super white light is garish to me.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I was running Cibie's with H4s but kept blowing headlamps when rock crawling it. I don't think the filaments could take the jarring and such. Switched to the truck lites and no problems.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

I run the JW speaker 8700 Eveloution 2 and i think they are the best for the clean white lite, but they do come at that big price tag but going from a stock headlight to this you will be wildly impressed and wish you would have done it sooner.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
If you do opt for LED lights and you're delighted because they put out so much more light down the road, then please go back and readjust them properly. I (and many other folks) am getting tired of being blinded by rude people who don't properly adjust the cut-off on their new lights.
Definitely, definitely this

So many people pop in mew housings and assume that since they've never touched those adjustment, it should be perfectly fine for the new housings they are installing. Almost always the new lights are aimed too high.

I've had the JW Speaker evo 2's for few years now. Although I have them aimed properly, the rear end weight of my jeep fluctuates with top on/off, loaded up for trips, and/or whatnot. Most of the time my jeep is topless with a bit of a rake. I am constantly conscious of those how those little changes could be affecting the beam from my lights. It's a very fine line of being aimed perfectly vs. too high.

Quick Reply: Replace 09 JKU Headlights