Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Replacing Front Speakers - do I need that tweater?

Old 07-01-2013, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Front Speakers - do I need that tweater?

I'm upgrading my factory system in my 12' Unlimited, and I replaced all four 6.5" speakers with Polk's, a new Pioneer double-din receiver. Wondering if those factory tweaters in front are needed or if there is a crossover that I can remove? Reason why I ask is that I'm not overly impressed with the sound in front, and I think it's do to those speakers. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Quadratec offers new tweeters. Somehting to look into and yes it would be best to keep them.
Quadratec Exclusive JK-TWEET11 - Super Tweeters (Pair) for 11-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Old 07-01-2013, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

You dont *need* them... but with the high frequencies, it is very much a directional sound and you will benefit from having them. Either upgrade them, or throw a crossover on them to push the highs to the tweets.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by blue project
Quadratec offers new tweeters. Somehting to look into and yes it would be best to keep them.
Quadratec Exclusive JK-TWEET11 - Super Tweeters (Pair) for 11-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Do you have these tweeters? Who makes them? Any good?
Old 07-05-2013, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arminius
I'm upgrading my factory system in my 12' Unlimited, and I replaced all four 6.5" speakers with Polk's, a new Pioneer double-din receiver. Wondering if those factory tweaters in front are needed or if there is a crossover that I can remove? Reason why I ask is that I'm not overly impressed with the sound in front, and I think it's do to those speakers. Any thoughts? Thanks!
What polks?

You really need component speakers up front instead of coaxials, which is what you probably used.

The coaxial tweeter restricts the mids being played by the speaker and the tweeter is aimed right at your knees. Tweeters should be closer to head level and pointed right at you.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Patman

What polks?

You really need component speakers up front instead of coaxials, which is what you probably used.

The coaxial tweeter restricts the mids being played by the speaker and the tweeter is aimed right at your knees. Tweeters should be closer to head level and pointed right at you.
Component speakers will replace the factory tweeter and give you a much better sound
Old 07-05-2013, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

I have 61/2 Polk components in front using factory wiring. The tweeters replaced the factory ones perfectly. You will need to wire the Polk crossover down by the lower woofer enclosure. For best results put pieces of dynamat on each inner surface of the sound bar and front enclosures, then fill them with fiberfill. Remove the rubber plugs that the front wires go through into the front woofer enclosures. This ports the enclosure and helps the bass response. I have 61/2 Polk coaxes in sound bar . Best Buy had them on special for $39.99 each. I have pioneer AVH 3500 and the sound contouring options are really useful..
Old 07-06-2013, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default quadratec tweeters

Hi
Hi I installed the qudratec tweeters and it makes a Big difference! Super easy install.

Quick Reply: Replacing Front Speakers - do I need that tweater?