Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

RES Stereo Upgrade

Old 06-06-2019, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BoredKender
Took it all apart, there was what appeared to be a bunch of pet hair under the board, so that could have been shorting it out. The black chip was the IC that controlls speaker outputs. Either way it's in my spare parts bin now though. Bought it used so not out too much money, just a little annoyed. There weren't too many wires on the harness to actually be able to screw up on an epic level like that, and they all had pretty clearly printed on them what went to what so there was no real need for guess and check.

I assume the previous owner had some issues with it since it had a 30A fuse plugged in and only calls for a 10A. Another small IC looked like it had melted so I couldnt read the chipset information. Only out 80 bucks so while it sucks it's still not quite a kick to the nuts
Yeah I figured it would be pretty hard to mess up the color matched harness but not knowing you or your abilities, one can't assume ;-)

Glad you figured it out, sorry about the frustration though. The HU in my build thread has been a great solution for me, 4 volt outputs for my amp too which is harder to find these days.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For those keeping tabs on my journey, I just ordered a Pioneer 6200NEX. A little older of a model but had the features I was looking for. Will update when it comes in and hope it does't catch fire too
Old 06-17-2019, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

New head unit arrives today and after reading a bunch of horror stories... how much did I shoot myself in the foot by not splurging on a PAC harness? I don't have any cool addons like backup cam etc yet but it would seem one of the wires on the HU harness that is not on the adaptor is for the dimmer? Any hints on where I can tap in for that without taking my instrument panel apart? The rest like red power and e-brake I can figure out for the most part I think.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BoredKender
New head unit arrives today and after reading a bunch of horror stories... how much did I shoot myself in the foot by not splurging on a PAC harness? I don't have any cool addons like backup cam etc yet but it would seem one of the wires on the HU harness that is not on the adaptor is for the dimmer? Any hints on where I can tap in for that without taking my instrument panel apart? The rest like red power and e-brake I can figure out for the most part I think.
From everything I've read on installs involving newer vehicles (not isolated to us and our JKs) it would seem that the PAC harness really does a lot of the communication for signal processing, however I have no experience hunting down the leads/signal needed for your application.

I'd imagine it's doable without the PAC kit but it will be a pain in the ass to hunt that down.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got it done enough for now. Bypassed the need for parking brake wire through settings, skipped the dimmer wire for now, and skipped the speed sensor wire for the gps. Was more a fitment proof of concept, will tackle the things I ignored when I get a backup cam and will probably get a Pac with it at that time.

For now I am happy with it
The following users liked this post:
GeekyTechyCool (06-17-2019)

Quick Reply: RES Stereo Upgrade