Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rewiring hard top to fix stereo volume. HELP ASAP

Old 01-18-2010, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Location: Christiana, Tennessee, United States, United States
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rewiring hard top to fix stereo volume. HELP ASAP

as most of yall have noticed there is a volume and EQ difference depending on whether you have the hard top harness plugged in or not. it seems that i recall a while ago some one had figured out which wires to splice at the harness that connects to the top to fix this and still aloows the wipers to function normally. The reason i ask is my radio "POPS" bad when the hard top is plugged up but there are no "POPS" from the speakers when the hard top is unplugged.
Yes , I have tried searching the forum and cannot find the thread, I know someone posted how to do this a long time ago. I could really use the help in finding this , jeep is going to the dealership tomorrow and i need to decide if i want to go this route or the TSB route.

Thanks
Tony
Old 01-18-2010, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have looked in the past alot at this topic. When I take my hard top off, I do the jumper that does the opposite (gives me back the increase in volume with hard top off), so yes there are wires that return the volume back up.

But, in all of the past reading I've done about it, I don't recall anyone ever being able to rewire with hard top harness plugged in that will decrease the volume back down.

Best 2 options available that I can remember seeing

1. Decrease the bass setting and you will get a little less popping. Popping seems to happen more with Auxillary input (iPod, etc) than it does with FM or sat radio.

2. Go to dealer and get it flashed to decrease the popping.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the hard top on but it is un plugged , so the volume is increased cause the jeep thinks I'm running a soft top. but remember reading a long time ago that someone splices two wires in the harness and fooled the computer into thinking the soft top was on with out disconnecting the harness
Old 01-18-2010, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Found it!!!!!!!!!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ard+top+volume

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/wrangler-nitro-amp-issue-messed-up-50615/
Old 01-19-2010, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

I think you've got it all backwards.

Hard top connector plugged in to Jeep=Louder Volume

Thus when you run the soft top or topless, connector unplugged=softer volume.

Thus, the jumper that is made is for when you want the soft top on or the top off and you want to increase the radio volume back to where it was with the hard top connector plugged in.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:38 AM
JK Junkie

get it flashed... Mine was snap, crackle, and popping even at low volumes before it was flashed (volume 10 popped LOUD)

now its much better..
Old 01-19-2010, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jfreeddo
I think you've got it all backwards.

Hard top connector plugged in to Jeep=Louder Volume

Thus when you run the soft top or topless, connector unplugged=softer volume.

Thus, the jumper that is made is for when you want the soft top on or the top off and you want to increase the radio volume back to where it was with the hard top connector plugged in.
Really? That seems to be counter intuitive.

The radio in the convertible I owned before the Jeep had a function where as soon as you began retracting the top, the volume automatically increased. Top down = more wind/road noise = need for louder radio. Jeep soft top is thinner and more likely to be folded down = more wind/road noise than hardtop = need for a louder radio with softtop. Not saying you're wrong, but doesn't this seem to make more sense?

Bill
Old 01-20-2010, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

Well, it is that way, many on here have experienced it.

Some think that it's becasue, top comes off, more wind noise, people turn radio up louder, then their crappy system and speakers start popping=more compliants and problems.

thus, they programmed it that when top comes off, less power to the speakers.

These are just all observations, but with my infinity system and I replaced the amp with a nitro amp, that's exactly what happens, so I plug in the jumper, and boom, right back to where my original volume was.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:11 AM
JK Freak

hmmm maybe this is related to something weird i saw..

i always have my hardtop on, and plugged in. when i pull in to stop, and turn my key OFF, but leave radio on, the stereo always gets a couple dB louder. ive reproduced it 50 times.

Quick Reply: Rewiring hard top to fix stereo volume. HELP ASAP