Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rugged Ridge Switch Wiring Diagram

Old 06-18-2015, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Switch Wiring

I don't dabble with wiring that much and recently got the Rugged Ridge Switch and was looking for instructions on wiring it. Found a great video that explains how to hook up the power to it properly.
Hope this helps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ndOlIgn1ys
Old 06-18-2015, 01:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jimps
I don't dabble with wiring that much and recently got the Rugged Ridge Switch and was looking for instructions on wiring it. Found a great video that explains how to hook up the power to it properly.
Hope this helps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ndOlIgn1ys
Good find! It's like the second schematic I posted except the accessory draws more power than the little LED they used in the video so instead the ACC from the switch is used to trigger a relay. Safety is important.

And welcome to the forum, jimps.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Default Not sure how safe this is but it helps with wiring management through the firewall

The positive and negative wires coming from the pillar I am going to bundle like this. Not sure if I need to change the gauge of the rat tail but I used 16 gauge all the way. I uploaded the picture without the finishing electrical tape or heat shrink I will use over the copper crimper.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire2.JPG
Views:	3540
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	615325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire1.JPG
Views:	4182
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	615326  
Old 06-19-2015, 05:38 AM
JK Junkie

You have 4 switches in the pillar? Usually you just run one wire to the first switch and then jump the first to second, second to third, and third to fourth. Same with the ground. But that should work too. The control circuits do run on milliamps so 16 gauge should be fine. It's a good idea to put a 3A fuse on the control circuit as well.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
You have 4 switches in the pillar? Usually you just run one wire to the first switch and then jump the first to second, second to third, and third to fourth. Same with the ground. But that should work too. The control circuits do run on milliamps so 16 gauge should be fine. It's a good idea to put a 3A fuse on the control circuit as well.
Thanks 14Sport. I didn't even think of daisy chaining it that way. I'll look for connectors that will let me do that. The less rats nest the better.
I bought a bussman fuse/relay box from ebay with that 3 amp fuse that leads to this switch pod. The guy who made it said he has instructions so I feel confident putting this in.

To be honest, this is actually fun. My niece also has a 2015 jk 2door and what ever mods I do that she wants, I will do on hers. The experience I gain from mine will benefit her for sure. Haha!
Old 06-19-2015, 07:14 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks 14Sport. I didn't even think of daisy chaining it that way. I'll look for connectors that will let me do that. The less rats nest the better.
I bought a bussman fuse/relay box from ebay with that 3 amp fuse that leads to this switch pod. The guy who made it said he has instructions so I feel confident putting this in.

To be honest, this is actually fun. My niece also has a 2015 jk 2door and what ever mods I do that she wants, I will do on hers. The experience I gain from mine will benefit her for sure. Haha!
You can daisy chain them using the same female blade connectors you have. You just put two wires in each connector except the last one. I have a drawing of how to do it at home I did for another member. I'm at work now. I can post it for you tonight if you want.

You should practice on your neice's Jeep so yours will be perfect.

Edit: I know I have a couple of pics posted where it shows daisy chaining some relays. I'll see if I can find them for you.

Last edited by 14Sport; 06-19-2015 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:35 AM
JK Junkie

Found it. You can see where I daisy chained four relays together in this bench test in post #6.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...1/#post4056557
Old 06-19-2015, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Found it. You can see where I daisy chained four relays together in this bench test in post #6.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...1/#post4056557
Big time help!!!! Thank you. I'm glad I found this forum. This saved me money. Instead of forking up money to have it installed I can use that money for something else. Maybe sound system upgrade.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:43 AM
JK Junkie

Big time help!!!! Thank you. I'm glad I found this forum. This saved me money. Instead of forking up money to have it installed I can use that money for something else. Maybe sound system upgrade.
Haha...glad I could help. It seems there is always something for us Jeepers to be spending money on though.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:38 AM
JK Junkie

This might help you as well. It is the basic wiring schematic for wiring your own 4 switch box.

You don't have to return the accessory grounds back to the box. You can just ground them to the chassis to save wire.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge Switch Wiring Diagram