Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Running wires for hood lights??

Old 10-29-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running wires for hood lights??

i wanna get a pair of PIAA 520s and put them where my hood and windshield meet. Ive heard the only ways to run the wires are either through the door (leaving some wire showing) or drilling through your windshield frame (which will eventually rust). Anyone know of any other ways? through the firewall maybe?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:24 AM
JK Junkie

Whoever told you about the door and drilling method should be shot, seriously.

If you remove the access panel on both sides of the dash (when you open your door, the entire side of the dash has a panel, remove it), there's a hole in the firewall that has some spray foam in it. With a screwdriver, remove the spray foam and you'll be able to see through it. Pop your hood open, it'll run along side of fender into the corner section of the hood.

The wiring for the windshield lights can be hidden under the cown (just under the window, where the wipers are). There's 4 Torx bolts holding it down. Remove the 4 and remove the panel. All the wiring can be ran in here. No drilling, no wires showing, nothing.

If you want to pass by and take a look at my setup, let me know.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
Whoever told you about the door and drilling method should be shot, seriously.

If you remove the access panel on both sides of the dash (when you open your door, the entire side of the dash has a panel, remove it), there's a hole in the firewall that has some spray foam in it. With a screwdriver, remove the spray foam and you'll be able to see through it. Pop your hood open, it'll run along side of fender into the corner section of the hood.

The wiring for the windshield lights can be hidden under the cown (just under the window, where the wipers are). There's 4 Torx bolts holding it down. Remove the 4 and remove the panel. All the wiring can be ran in here. No drilling, no wires showing, nothing.

If you want to pass by and take a look at my setup, let me know.
good answer, but couldn't the OP figure this out just by looking at the jeep? I guess not......
Old 10-29-2009, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robin
good answer, but couldn't the OP figure this out just by looking at the jeep? I guess not......
Good question and good answer. No need to belittle the OP for asking a good question. A lot of people do not want to tear their JK apart without a little direction first. That is what this forum is great for.

As for the wiring, Suffolk JK is dead on. I have helped several friends run the wires through the firewall on the drivers side. Just poke through the foam insulation. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've only read of people going through the firewall, it's the easiest. Here's a pretty good writeup showing how the poster ran his wiring.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/another-kc-windshield-light-write-up-68259/
Old 10-29-2009, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

An even easier solution, if I say so myself.... Everything is under the hood...no need to find a way through the firewall or make a hole for a switch.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/remote-control-lights-105558/
Old 10-29-2009, 12:41 PM
JK Junkie

That remote system looks really neat
Old 10-29-2009, 08:00 PM
JK Freak

who told u about drilling? tmrw at the beach i will show u how to run the wires its going to be a joke to put in!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last setup I did for a friend, we just ran the wires under the windshield. Took it loose and fed it through. The seal, seals around the wires, no drilling, no pinching, nothing.

Quick Reply: Running wires for hood lights??