Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Safe way to secure subs/amp in a JK

Old 01-08-2009, 12:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe way to secure subs/amp in a JK

Just wanted to show some Audio stuff. I will post the final product shortly. I used a Besttop instatrunk to secure a safe enclosure for a custom sub box and the lower storage area to place the amp and capacitor. This way from outside view you can not tell its there. Everything is bolted down. When the tailgate is locked its is sucure unnless they cut the steel trunk or drill the door lock. even with the top down. Thought it would work well. I will post the final pics when complete. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by NC08JK; 01-18-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:29 AM
JK Junkie

Looks great, nice clean set up. Does the amp have an internal cooling fan? Will it be ok when covered? Thanks....
Old 01-08-2009, 12:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have ran amps in trunks before and i have never really had a problem. But you raise a good question. If you are concerned about cooling issues they have highend amp that are equiped with cooling fans similar to pc processor fans. This particular one i am not sure. i may have to reconsider my amp choice once i verify it. Thanks for the question. you may have saved me about 350 dollars. i was thinking since it was a jeep it would have airflow but now that I added the instatrunk i may be overlooking that issue. Thanks
Old 01-08-2009, 02:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

This has always been my plan if I were to upgrade the stereo. The only thing that I put in there is my little recovery kit and shackles that never leave my jeep. But that stuff would fit under the seat.

Looks good man. Have you thought about drilling holes in the cover... ever have the top down? Thought about running some sort of gasket around the edge to avoid getting water in there?
Old 01-08-2009, 03:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default reply

Thats very nice...:but: what if it rains and the top is off? Will it get wet?
Old 01-08-2009, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

When I used to do custom installs we would drill a bunch of 1/2" holes in covers like that for cooling or sound depending whats behind them, just pull the carpet off, drill, spray glue, new carpet. and no one but you will know. My only concerns would be water leaks and heat, but looks real good! oh and i was talking about drilling holes in the cover for the little stock cover for where the amp is mounted, if you leave it off and the inst trunk is all you have then you will be good, i really doubt that is a hcca style amp running either 1 or 1/2 ohm. The only thing that I would recommend is getting some 3/8" spacers from lowes that are about 3/8's-1/2" and put them under the amp to space it from the carpet to let some air under it and keep it from wet carpet if it ever happens.

Last edited by rob4607; 01-08-2009 at 04:24 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sn4cktime
This has always been my plan if I were to upgrade the stereo. The only thing that I put in there is my little recovery kit and shackles that never leave my jeep. But that stuff would fit under the seat.

Looks good man. Have you thought about drilling holes in the cover... ever have the top down? Thought about running some sort of gasket around the edge to avoid getting water in there?
The Besttop instatrunk comes with a rubber gasket that seales the enclosue with th rear door. Take a look at the Best Top products site to reference. I have not had a chance to physicaly inspect the installers work yet but when i asked him he has stated that its a tight clean fit and should withstand the elements. I would imagine it would not be to hard to fabricate a modified rear duster cover for it. As far as cooling issues I would reccomend a solid amp witl large cooling vents. This particular model runs very cool compared to others so i think I will be ok.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rob4607
When I used to do custom installs we would drill a bunch of 1/2" holes in covers like that for cooling or sound depending whats behind them, just pull the carpet off, drill, spray glue, new carpet. and no one but you will know. My only concerns would be water leaks and heat, but looks real good! oh and i was talking about drilling holes in the cover for the little stock cover for where the amp is mounted, if you leave it off and the inst trunk is all you have then you will be good, i really doubt that is a hcca style amp running either 1 or 1/2 ohm. The only thing that I would recommend is getting some 3/8" spacers from lowes that are about 3/8's-1/2" and put them under the amp to space it from the carpet to let some air under it and keep it from wet carpet if it ever happens.
This ia a amp made by a local east coast company. They are fairly new to the market so i thought i would try them out and save a buck. I could not tell you exactly how well of a aamp it is just yet but I heard good things from others that are running them. They said they run very cool compared to similar sized amps from major brands. I have jl 250/1 just incase though. Thanks for the advice I will definately let my guy know to incoprorate some of these solutions. I think the besttop cover will prevent a magority of the rain or water from getting in based on its design but I am concerned about once it settles or if i submerge it. I will really have to take a look to get a better idea. I am thinking Imight have to fabricate a way to water proof this area a little better in order to keep the possibility of deep water holes. Thanks for all the advice.

Last edited by NC08JK; 01-08-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deltadawn
Thats very nice...:but: what if it rains and the top is off? Will it get wet?
This is what was advertised from the product.

"Secure and safeguard your belongings with the Bestop Instatrunk. The Instatrunk conveniently fastens into the cargo area behind the rear seat, and provides out of sight security for valuables. The 16-gauge, heavy-duty steel construction forms a weather-resistant seal when you close and lock the tailgate and no additional keys are needed."

I think it will suffice but I think everyone has made a valid point when it comes to certain considerations needed for such a product and project. I am confident however this will be fine.

Last edited by NC08JK; 01-08-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Where did you end up mounting it?

Quick Reply: Safe way to secure subs/amp in a JK