Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Should I get Mygig?

Old 02-01-2008, 02:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MRTrelease
I too am on the "Should I get MyGig?" fence. Although I'm months away from pulling the trigger, the obsession has already started.

I've read the MyGig manual (sorry I'm a geek). What I can't determine is how it handles playlists for your loaded MP3s. I currently have a Rockford Omnifi in both of our vehicles and love it. I can load up existing playlists or create and save them on the fly from the unit. I use a \All Media\Artist\Album\song.mp3 directory structure.

From what I could tell about MyGig was that it created Playlists based on folder structure. Is that true? Or can I say, manually pick 3 songs from a Metallica album, along with some Bare Naked Ladies from 2 other album and through in some John Denver for good measure and save that as a playlist (albeit an odd combination)?

The other thing I can do is start from the root (All Media) level and play all of that suffled which will play all the songs loaded on my device randomly. Does MyGig support something like that?
It has something called the "Digital Jukebox" which is like a playlist only it appears you can just add certain albums to it that you've downloaded onto it's hard drive. There's only around 12 albums that you can organize and arrange but if you go the actual hard drive itself with the tab labeled "HDD" you can actually query it to search and play all songs by a particular artists or particular album. The artist search can only be done on songs or albums ripped from actual cd's that it recognizes using onboard software that can tell you the name's of the artists, songs, and albums that you've upload. I've uploaded songs from cd-r's that I have downloaded and it just labels these as tracks 1,2,and 3...etc and names the album after the date and time you downloaded them. Does this help???
Old 02-01-2008, 02:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pkess3
It doesn't work right now but it gives me an 800 Sirius number to call and activate it. I haven't done this yet. The SATV tab appeared after I downloaded and installed an update that was in another thread on this site. You should search for it and download and install the update. It allows you to not have to push the "Accept" button everytime you start the Jeep and also has more legible road labels.
Ok here's the thread about the mygig update if you haven't seen it already:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...oftware+update

I've done this and it works.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:22 PM
JK Newbie

If I was buying a new jeep again I'd want the Mygig as an option again.
Its funny when I was looking for the perfect JK I didn't want the Mygig option but I couldn't find the perfect 2 door without it so I bit the bullet and went with it. After using it for the past few months I would be really disappointed that I didn't get it.
It is a pretty cool feature. Now in between Jeep waves I'm doing this to all my downloaded metal.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:50 PM
JK Super Freak

The new Panasonic Strada (Model #CN-NVD905U) navigation units are pretty nice...I might get one to replace my CQ-VD7005U...they've really come down in price, and this should be just as good if not better than the MyGIG.

Russ D.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=18391
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CN-NVD905U_500.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	5901  
Old 02-01-2008, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Though I have not used my own personal MyGiG (Rubi on order) I spent an afternoon enjoying one of the dealer's on a X test driver. I have three other nav units and was really pleased how user friendly the MyGiG was.
It impressed me enough that I decided NOT to purchase a Rubi on the lot that I so desperately wanted due to it not being equipped with the MyGiG.
I am now in G1 and the wait will be over before long. I might also add that my order was delayed two weeks due a MyGiG upgrade ?? Maybe something to do with it being 6 speed ?

Last edited by oneal; 02-01-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by directedby
there are ways turn on all disabled features. my u-connect and Voice recog works perfectly.
Mine too... but I had to buy aftermarket items to enable things that should have been enabled from the factory.

There still are a few other things that could be better. Like today I was listening to music on the harddrive. I should be able to press the place on the screen where the name of the artist is and it should pull up every song I have by that artist. There are plenty of little things that would be VERY easy to program this thing to do, and would make it way better.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

why can't you load video from USB? You can load a couple low res pics and use them in Picture view. Pretty lame.

You should be able to load video to the harddrive from a DVD or disc. Even if yoou don't do full movies how about video clips.

When in Navigation it doesn't tell you how far to the next turn unless you expand the turn tabs, when you do that you can't see the map.

People have complained about pausing audio. I never tried it.

Why doesn't the sat radio also have traffic flow inf? Sirius sends flow info with incident info but the Mygig doesn't pass that info to the user. You pay the same price for Sirius traffic whether your radio does incident only or incident and flow info.

All the U-connect info is in the unit all you need is a microphone. Why disable it on the Wrangler?

I'll post more within the thread as I think of them...
Old 02-01-2008, 05:37 PM
AK
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davidwm71
why can't you load video from USB? You can load a couple low res pics and use them in Picture view. Pretty lame.

AGREE!

You should be able to load video to the harddrive from a DVD or disc. Even if yoou don't do full movies how about video clips.

AGREE!

When in Navigation it doesn't tell you how far to the next turn unless you expand the turn tabs, when you do that you can't see the map.

Not True, you have to selesct this in set up!

People have complained about pausing audio. I never tried it.

Never had this problem.

Why doesn't the sat radio also have traffic flow inf? Sirius sends flow info with incident info but the Mygig doesn't pass that info to the user. You pay the same price for Sirius traffic whether your radio does incident only or incident and flow info.

It does do this....it is labeled Sirrus Traffic.

All the U-connect info is in the unit all you need is a microphone. Why disable it on the Wrangler?

Don't know, but get the mic and it works GREAT!

I'll post more within the thread as I think of them...
BUY IT! You will LOVE it!
Old 02-01-2008, 11:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AK
BUY IT! You will LOVE it!
It has the Sirius traffic incident reporting but NOT traffic flow. Even on Sirius' website it tells you that the OEM Jeep radios ( and others ) do not have traffic flow reporting ONLY incident reporting.

The only time I could see how far until the next turn on the nav is when I expand the tabs and that covers the map. If you know another way I would REALLY appreciate it if you can tell me how to do it.

I like the MyGig, I just don't know if it's the best item for the money. Now it's really great for someone who can't install there own radio and doesn't want to pay someone else to install a new radio, and/or someone who wants to purchase a high end radio and have it included in there financing.

I have the u-connect working in mine too. SO simple to do and does work well. Makes me wonder even more why Jeep decided not to include it on the Wrangler.

Last edited by davidwm71; 02-01-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jgarner
Personally I would order it without the MyGig and purchase one from Mr.cd1 on Ebay. It is a snap to install. That way you will not show your new build down.
I agree with jgarner. I ordered by 97 Rubi in Aug 2006 and didn't want it delayed by the MYGIG production problems. I bought the MYGIG from CD1 and installed with no problems. I then went to my dealer to have the MYGIG registered with the VIN and got a full year of Sirius for free. I did this almost a year after I got the Rubi.

I love the unit and while I'm sure there are great aftermarkets out there I'm real pleased with the MYGIG.

The only downside is that you can't program the Nav system while in motion (using the keypad). I fixed that problem by buying a MYGIG LOCKPICK from Costal Tech. (costaltech.com). It allows you to override all those "safety" features when you need to. That way I can have my passenger program new destintations in the NAV while I'm driving. It will also allow you to override the DVD player while motion (don't advise that but you can). It will also let you view the backup camera, if installed, while driving forward. The LOCKPICK installs in about 15 minutes with no cutting or modifcation to your wiring system. Just plugs into existing plugs. I love it!!!

Last edited by doojer; 02-02-2008 at 07:39 AM. Reason: edited non-sponsor link

Quick Reply: Should I get Mygig?