Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Show me your switches! Pics please...

Old 01-05-2008, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show me your switches! Pics please...

I need some ideas of where to put 3 fog light switches..I want to stay away from having to order a panel....THANKS!
Old 01-05-2008, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't have pics yet and unfortunately it is snowing so I'm not going to take any right now, but I just pulled the lower dash panel right in front of the gear shift and mounted a switch there. It's out of the way, looks clean, and is easy to get the wires to. If you use that location to mount a switch, make sure there is enough room behind the panel for the switch that you choose.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is where I put mine. They are just under the armrest of the center console. There are more pics in my gallery. I could have gotten four switches in there but have no need for that many.

The following users liked this post:
Agent915 (04-16-2020)
Old 01-05-2008, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is my switch setup:

1. Switches are located above driver speaker on dashboard.
2. Each switch derives its power from an auxiliary fuse panel placed behind the battery in the engine bay.
3. All four switches share the same ground wire.
4. Each switch sends current to 4 separate relays in the engine bay.
5. Wire loom ran through small hole above fender well into engine bay from passenger compartment.
6. In the third photo you can see the wire loom heading into the engine bay and to the switches, also that I have placed a "hidden" switch behind the dashboard to do the following:
A. It is a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) switch
B. Position A power to switch panel is constant, can be turned on whenever I like (will fail VA state inspection if left in this position)
C. Position B is off to entire switch panel
D. Position C power to switch panel is tied into the low beam circuit so that fog lights can only be turned on with low beams and automatically go off with high beams (within state law).
Switches were purchased from RS and have a Red color.

Let me know what you think, this is the first time I have posted these pictures as they are part of my big electrical write-up that I am compiling!

Last edited by obxjeep; 01-05-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepnxj3
This is where I put mine. They are just under the armrest of the center console. There are more pics in my gallery. I could have gotten four switches in there but have no need for that many.

oooh. i like that spot. nice work.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

obxjeep,

Very nice install that gives me a few ideas:

- I'd place the LED at the top when installed (On position is an upward switch motion)

- Use bell wire or 18ga wire for the switch side of the relay, as the load is controlled by the other side of the relay. Only 1 (or 2) bundles to route through the firewall.

I think the SPDT is a great idea; allows for an off-road and on-road choice. Does your state law allow fog lights on with parking lights, or must it be in concert with low beams? If I understand the requirements here, fogs must be off when high beams are on, and driving lights must operate in concert with the high beams. All on-highway lights must be within a specified distance of the road, and installed in pairs.

Finally, did you create a template for the installation of the switches, or did you just eyeball it?

Looking forward to your write-up!

SV
Old 01-06-2008, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sv650
obxjeep,

Very nice install that gives me a few ideas:

- I'd place the LED at the top when installed (On position is an upward switch motion)

- Use bell wire or 18ga wire for the switch side of the relay, as the load is controlled by the other side of the relay. Only 1 (or 2) bundles to route through the firewall.

I think the SPDT is a great idea; allows for an off-road and on-road choice. Does your state law allow fog lights on with parking lights, or must it be in concert with low beams? If I understand the requirements here, fogs must be off when high beams are on, and driving lights must operate in concert with the high beams. All on-highway lights must be within a specified distance of the road, and installed in pairs.

Finally, did you create a template for the installation of the switches, or did you just eyeball it?

Looking forward to your write-up!

SV
It is a requirement here in VA that the fogs go off when the highbeams are turned on, and also if the fog lights are above the level of the headlights, then they must be covered... I got pulled over for that once in my TJ, didn't have covers on my light bar with 4 Hella FF1000's

I did do a template when I installed the switches, simply just measured them and then I drew on a piece of paper where the centers would be and taped it on the dash... Luckily I had already gotten used to drilling into my Jeep since I installed the 4.5" LED taillights on my TJ... I drilled 4 1/2" holes straight across, the last hole has barely enough room behind it for the wires, so it is snug, but works great.

The funny part about my switch panel is... nothing to hook into it yet it was a warm summer day when I did that mod and I figured I wouldn't want to wire in the freakin' cold winter so all I have to do now is plug the lights into the relay and poof they work. Thanks for the comment!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:14 AM
JK Freak

i like the idea of having a switch under the arm rest for the ESP mod
Old 01-06-2008, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by obxjeep
...., didn't have covers on my light bar with 4 Hella FF1000's
Off topic, but your opinion of the FF1000s? I'm considering the pencil beams.

SV
Old 01-06-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sv650
Off topic, but your opinion of the FF1000s? I'm considering the pencil beams.

SV
They were great lights, I had the driving beam on the light bar, they were close to being a pencil beam, so I would imagine that the pencil has a very sharp beam. When installing the lights, try not to crank the nut down too hard or you will crack the plastic housing.

Quick Reply: Show me your switches! Pics please...