Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sirius Audio Quality - Low Fidelity

Old 01-13-2008, 09:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius Audio Quality - Low Fidelity

I have had my Sirius radio for several days now and I am no audiophile but the quality sounds tinny. It almost sounds like the sampling rate on the digital compression is too low. Do others notice this? My home-made mp3 files at VBR or 320 bit rate sound MUCH better. I guess I expected more fidelity. It is clear, just not rich.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by utjeeper
I have had my Sirius radio for several days now and I am no audiophile but the quality sounds tinny. It almost sounds like the sampling rate on the digital compression is too low. Do others notice this? My home-made mp3 files at VBR or 320 bit rate sound MUCH better. I guess I expected more fidelity. It is clear, just not rich.
Yeah it's not that great - a big reason why I opted out when I bought my JK. Keep in mind that Sirius quality can vary depending on whether you're receiving from Sat or FM (in major metro areas) and also they broadcast in PAC at 64kbps, which is alright but it isn't 256kbps VBR mp3 either.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sat radio has never been that great as far as sound quality goes...

but in my experience Sirius sounds better than XM.
(I believe Sirius allocates more bandwith to music than talk channels and XM evenly distributes bandwith across all their channels)

With the possible merger of the companies, I am hoping the quality improves.

If it doesnt I wont be a sat rad customer after the 1st free year is over.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have also noticed that my reception goes out sometimes. I know it will go out under bridges and stuff but I was just riding down the road the other day and it goes in and out. I am not sure if it was the time of day position of the earth realitive to the Sat or the trees along the road. ( not sure how all that works)

Anyway for the most part it is reliable and not an issue but....
I have heard of folks re positioning their sat antenna to the drivers side. can anyone confirm if this helps?
Old 01-14-2008, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

Ya Im really getting sick of it cutting out all the time
Old 01-14-2008, 05:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed, with the soft top installed, it cuts out much less than with the hard top.

And how could you move the antenna to the drivers side? I have never even seen the antenna
Old 01-14-2008, 10:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have the sirus free for a year it came with the jeep, and it went out and i took it in and the dealer ordered me another antenna for the sirus, they then called me back after they got the antenna and said they have to order me a new radio? idk y, but my sirus works fine but my AM/FM does not wanna come in at all anywhere im at. i had the same problem with my 94 wrangler my AM/FM didnt wanna come in all that great anyone else have this problem or should i take it back to the dealer?
Old 01-15-2008, 04:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah satellite radio sound quality sucks. I don't remember the exact stats, but the bitrates are really low. like mp3 or lower.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

It don't sound as clear as my MP3s, but then again, I'm downsampling all my Mp3s to load onto the tiny ass MyGig HD until I have a chance to open the bitch up, pull the HD, and try imaging it onto something bigger.

The sound quality isn't as clear, but I wouldn't at all say that it's 'bad'.

I'm all about the Big 80's channel and the Backspin (old skool hip hop!) channels tho. I haven't listened to the radio in years, but having 80s and old skool on demand.. well... it's sweet to hear Quiet Riot and Kool Moe Dee.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
they broadcast in PAC at 64kbps
Wow! Someone else who knew they used the Lucent PAC.

I've found I've become conditioned to listening to poorly compressed audio. Every time I stick a plain old CD in the CD player, I'm completely blown away because I forgot how good a plain old CD sounds compared to the compressed crud I hear on a daily basis from the alphabet soup of lossy audio codecs.

Quick Reply: Sirius Audio Quality - Low Fidelity