Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

sPOD worth it?

Old 06-04-2014, 03:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sPOD worth it?

Hey everyone! I'm new to the jeep community and have been doing some research in regards to auxiliary lighting and wiring. I'm a bit anal when it comes to things looking neat and clean, so the idea of this sPOD having only one wire that taps into the battery seems right up my alley! I was wondering if anyone here has installed it, and if so, what are your opinions. Is it worth the $$, is there a cheaper just as good option, etc? Thanks
Old 06-04-2014, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was in the same boat a while back. First let me say I am a tight a$$. I liked the Spod but I could see spending all that money for something that I could build or get cheaper. I went the Bussmann route. There is a guy in Az. that makes them up. They work great. I went with the Weather Tight Relay Box because it has relays already in it. here is a link to his site. Relays, Fuses & Breakers | PMA4x4.comPMA4x4.com

here are a few pictures of what I did.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140207_142715_268.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	557534 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140211_074025_166.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	557535 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140311_163616_324.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	557536 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140311_101939_109.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	557537
Old 06-04-2014, 04:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive never heard anyone regret buying it. But you can build something similar enough too. "Worth it" is a relative term.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could never build something like above myself in a million years so to me the sPod was worth the money and really did clean up my wiring nest
Old 06-04-2014, 04:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

The best part about the sPOD is the in-cab controller. It looks factory in the early model JK interiors, and you can make it look factory in the late-model JK interiors by replacing the Contura II switches with Contura V switches. Go to OTRATTW.com and order either the silk-screened toggles for the switches the sPOD comes with, or order the entire Contura V switches with the laser-etched toggles if you want to replace the entire switches. Advantages of either are they are professionally labelled with each switch's function. Advantage with the Contura Vs is that the laser-etched toggles are back-lit and nicely lit--extraordinarily factory. Add the sPOD controller (there are four variants--make sure you get the one with the features you want) with the gauge hole opening and you can add a gauge of your choosing. I found a VDO oil pressure gauge that is a nice complement to the JK dash gauges.

Now, the worst parts about the sPOD controller:
  • Limited to 50-amps total, 30-amps per circuit, six circuits (thus had to wire overhead lights to two separate circuits).
  • Turns on things well, but not designed to turn off things (thus had to add extra relay for fan motor control).
  • Not waterproof. For the money you pay, it should be waterproof. But, I've never had a problem with it, and I do ford deep stuff.

Name:	Jeep Work, Sep 13, 5_9826, Engine Fan Switch.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	557541Click image for larger version

Name:	sPOD Controller, Dec 13, 5_3106, Lighting (interior lights on).jpg
Views:	840
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	557542

And because moving pictures are fun, fast forward to 0:38 for water fording.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLkNU8d8w-c
Old 06-04-2014, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love my spod ! I love how it looks like it came from the factory like that
Old 06-04-2014, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default On off

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
The best part about the sPOD is the in-cab controller. It looks factory in the early model JK interiors, and you can make it look factory in the late-model JK interiors by replacing the Contura II switches with Contura V switches. Go to OTRATTW.com and order either the silk-screened toggles for the switches the sPOD comes with, or order the entire Contura V switches with the laser-etched toggles if you want to replace the entire switches. Advantages of either are they are professionally labelled with each switch's function. Advantage with the Contura Vs is that the laser-etched toggles are back-lit and nicely lit--extraordinarily factory. Add the sPOD controller (there are four variants--make sure you get the one with the features you want) with the gauge hole opening and you can add a gauge of your choosing. I found a VDO oil pressure gauge that is a nice complement to the JK dash gauges.

Now, the worst parts about the sPOD controller:
  • Limited to 50-amps total, 30-amps per circuit, six circuits (thus had to wire overhead lights to two separate circuits).
  • Turns on things well, but not designed to turn off things (thus had to add extra relay for fan motor control).
  • Not waterproof. For the money you pay, it should be waterproof. But, I've never had a problem with it, and I do ford deep stuff.

Attachment 557541Attachment 557542

And because moving pictures are fun, fast forward to 0:38 for water fording.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLkNU8d8w-c

I have a question for your negative comment about it not turning off items well.

So for me to turn off my lights and for example an air compressor the jeep has to be turned off to shut that item off? When I hit the switch from on to off it dosnt turn it off? Maybe I misunderstood it.

Thanks
BK
Old 06-04-2014, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Here is one option I've looked at. Only thing that makes me nervous is the box with all the connections. Is it going to hold up to 100 degree day on trials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYMe2xTvyUQ
Old 06-04-2014, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

Spod is worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes you can build one similar but by the time you spend building and buying all the parts you paid for the Spod. Plus this unit looks like it came from the factory on the Jeep. Also it turns off all accessories once the voltage drops to 10 volts that way if you leave the lights on you wont have a dead battery. Don't question your self just do it!!!!!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

I think it's worth it. I'm good at wiring but it made life so much easier. Plus a got a hell of a deal on one new so I couldn't pass it up.

Name:	image-3885643419.jpg
Views:	1375
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	557686

Quick Reply: sPOD worth it?