Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Spot or Flood?

Old 08-19-2014, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spot or Flood?

I'm curious what everybody else is running. I have flood lights now attached to the pillars of my windshield....thinking about going to the smaller square ones from Rigid Industries (spot).

I'm pretty sure the consensus will be "it all depends what you want to use them for"...but, I'd like to hear what everybody has to say.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:58 PM
Former Vendor

People usually run Spot on A pillar kits because flood tends to glare more on the hood, and doesn't project as far out. Flood would usually be mounted lower.

While you're at it, check out our CUBE lights. www.inspired-engineering.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ie-44combo
Old 08-19-2014, 04:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run Rigid Duallys, pair of spots on the pillar and floods on the bumper. Plenty of light for what I need without spending $2K on lights.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the dually floods mounted high for back-up lights. Had them on my front bumper but did not like them - I think you need a driving pattern or spot for the front and along with a fog.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got the 6 inch e series combo with dually floods on either side. Definitely does more than what I wanted and works perfectly. All are mounted on my bumper.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sami@inspired-engineering
People usually run Spot on A pillar kits because flood tends to glare more on the hood, and doesn't project as far out. Flood would usually be mounted lower.

While you're at it, check out our CUBE lights. CUBE combo
This is what I figured. I bought my used and for a great price...but now, I'm not really diggin' the big circular pattern. Want to go to the square pattern. Here's what I have now and they are floods.

I'll be sure to check out your company...I was originally leaning towards Rigid Industries Dually's.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:20 PM
JK Freak

spots are for up high, floods are for bumper/brush bar mounts.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

I like wide angle driving lights on the A-pillars. This will light up over the brush and rocks for a nice view. I can even use them on group night runs, because the pattern is wide but thin vertically, where they don't shine into the windows of the jeeps in front of me.

The roof light bar has spot lenses on the 5 inter groups and flood on the 2 end groups, good for seeing a mile or more away when looking for trail or place to camp at night.

Then on each end of the roof light bar I have some small 20W alley flood lights, can also use these on group night runs.

With the A-pillar lights and alley lights on, it gives me about 180° in front and sides of my jeep. I really like this setup!

I really don't see much need in having lights down low on the bumper where the brush and other things will block them, expect small lights for slow rock crawling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gecko4.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	572297

Last edited by Cameleer; 08-20-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had Hella A pillar lights and switched to the Kohree 7 inch LED lights. They are approximately the same size as the Hellas were and put out 5000 lumens of light. They have a half flood and half spot lens and do an awesome job lighting up the road in front of you. They fit onto the same A pillar mounts that the Hellas bolted onto and I wired them into the leftover Hella wiring and switch without issues since it runs at a far lower amperage. So far I love them and don't have any complaints.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sami@inspired-engineering
Spots are for longer ranges and higher speeds. They aren’t very useful for relatively slow offroading.
In fact, for relatively slow offroading, spots are an annoyance, as, at shorter ranges, they light a small area and leave much of the area in the dark.

Floods are for shorter ranges and relatively slow offroading. They shed light over a much larger area, so you see it all, including coming turns.

The location of offroad lights is as important as the light type.
The location of lights, relative to the driver eyes level, makes a basic difference.
Lights below driver eye level, cast shadows and mask parts of the area ahead.
Lights above driver eye level, light up everything that’s within view.

This principal is true for both shorter range lighting of a trail, and longer range lights for high speed on or offroad:

Name:	Below vs Above Line of Sight - Offroad.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	572632

Name:	Below vs Above Line of Sight - Road.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	572633

As for windshield floods glaring on the hood -- a 'L' shape metal plate can be added under the flood, to block the light from reaching the hood.

The best of all worlds, would be a lightbar with both spots and floods, separately switched.
For example:

Name:	# Light Bar --- Floods + Spots.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	572637

Last edited by GJeep; 08-24-2014 at 08:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Spot or Flood?