Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Steering wheel controls: Who cares?

Old 08-14-2014, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Steering wheel controls: Who cares?

Since buying my Jeep just a few weeks ago I've only missed having either a backup sonar or backup camera. I've been toying with the idea of swapping out my stock stereo for a DVD head unit that will accept a backup camera. And for some silly reason, I've been factoring the (outrageous) cost of the CAN-BUS adapter to maintain my steering wheel controls.

But suddenly, I realize that I hardly ever use them anyway. I mean... I can reach the volume control and preset buttons on my stock stereo without even fully removing my right hand from the steering wheel. I use the steering wheel controls occasionally just to see that they work, but that's it.

So who has swapped their stereo for aftermarket and just skipped the adapter? Did your world end??

All opinions welcome.

Thanks,
Tom.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by any4xx
Since buying my Jeep just a few weeks ago I've only missed having either a backup sonar or backup camera. I've been toying with the idea of swapping out my stock stereo for a DVD head unit that will accept a backup camera. And for some silly reason, I've been factoring the (outrageous) cost of the CAN-BUS adapter to maintain my steering wheel controls. But suddenly, I realize that I hardly ever use them anyway. I mean... I can reach the volume control and preset buttons on my stock stereo without even fully removing my right hand from the steering wheel. I use the steering wheel controls occasionally just to see that they work, but that's it. So who has swapped their stereo for aftermarket and just skipped the adapter? Did your world end?? All opinions welcome. Thanks, Tom.
. Interesting, I almost exclusively use my steering wheel controls. To each their own, if you don't use it, don't install an adapter. I installed the CanBus adapter primarily to avoid any errors that might arise. Not sure if it is really necessary or not. To me $75 wasn't a big deal to have easy connection and steering wheel control.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattk11
. Interesting, I almost exclusively use my steering wheel controls. To each their own, if you don't use it, don't install an adapter. I installed the CanBus adapter primarily to avoid any errors that might arise. Not sure if it is really necessary or not. To me $75 wasn't a big deal to have easy connection and steering wheel control.
That was my thoughts as well and will be my reasoning to buy the adapter once I upgrade my head unit..
Old 08-14-2014, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got a aftermarket stereo and i dont have controls. Part of that being mines a 2007 and just dont have them.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lol I'm the same. It's another wasted luxury I paid for and literally never use. I can't remember which button does what lol
Old 08-14-2014, 06:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use mine all the time. To each his own... I'm not a utilitarian Jeep owner. I enjoy my creature comforts and proudly admit it!!

And yes, I off road my vehicle.... lol... heading to Uwharrie on Saturday.... wave if you see me.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used mine with the stock stereo.... but with the new one being super easy with touch gestures, I dont bother and I dont miss them being gone. Other cars I have had where the radio was a bit of a pain to reach for would have been a bigger deal... but the Jeep is so close, its no issue for me.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:05 AM
JK Super Freak

You can find the adapter and dash kit for around 75 bucks. That's not too shab. Plus you retain all factory conviences. It's just that little extra that makes a difference sometimes. If you don't use them at all, and don't care, then don't buy it. Seems like you answered your own question.

Last edited by bombout800; 08-14-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I keep looking at this one. Raxiom Wrangler GPS Navigation w/ Bluetooth & Back-Up Camera J101300 (07-14 Wrangler JK) - Free Shipping

Everything should still work and it comes with a camera.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bombout800
You can find the adapter and dash kit for around 75 bucks. That's not too shab. Plus you retain all factory conviences. It's just that little extra that makes a difference sometimes. If you don't use them at all, and don't care, then don't buy it. Seems like you answered your own question.
Okay... I was lead to believe that the only thing that would interface with the CAN BUS system on our Jeeps was the Idatalink Maestro. At just under $200.00 with the required adapter cables.

No?????

Quick Reply: Steering wheel controls: Who cares?