Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

stock sub switch

Old 10-08-2010, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock sub switch

so i have the stock sub and i want to put a kicker sub in off the factory wiring. I know that the stock is dual coil so i want to bridge the 2 channels together anyone think that will be a problem also i know the infinity system is 2 ohm the kicker sub is 4 ohm any problems there i know there will be a power loss
Old 10-08-2010, 10:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to add an amp for the sub
Old 10-08-2010, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

I plan to just want to know if its ok to do that with the infinty amp the sub is only 150 watts rms can i bridge the 2 channels?
Old 10-12-2010, 02:31 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by chasew
I plan to just want to know if its ok to do that with the infinty amp the sub is only 150 watts rms can i bridge the 2 channels?
no the amp is underpowered. it will sound like doodoo and likely damage the amp
Old 10-12-2010, 10:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chasew
so i have the stock sub and i want to put a kicker sub in off the factory wiring. I know that the stock is dual coil so i want to bridge the 2 channels together anyone think that will be a problem also i know the infinity system is 2 ohm the kicker sub is 4 ohm any problems there i know there will be a power loss
Ok...first and formost you have to figure out if the infinity amp is bridgeable. If it's not then you CAN NOT bridge it. Some amps are and some are not. Second..if you need a 2 ohm load then you will need a 4 ohm dual voicecoil speaker to get tyour 2 ohm load...you will need to run the voice coils in parallel (link all negatives together, then all positives together). Your AMP wil be stable at 2 ohm or 1 ohm. Any other configuration (that I know of) will cause damage to your equipment and sound like monkey poo..
Old 10-12-2010, 11:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm still confused after reading this but its due to my lack of knowledge on the subject. I want the Kickers too but guess I'm going to have to find a reputable sound shop that knows what they are doing to set me up. I was just going to get the Kickers and replace my Infinity speakers and think I could call it a day til I read a few different threads. Even after reading them I don't quiet understand the ins and outs and now confused on which Kickers to even buy cause now I think I may be getting the wrong ones.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2010, 02:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerrod710
I'm still confused after reading this but its due to my lack of knowledge on the subject. I want the Kickers too but guess I'm going to have to find a reputable sound shop that knows what they are doing to set me up. I was just going to get the Kickers and replace my Infinity speakers and think I could call it a day til I read a few different threads. Even after reading them I don't quiet understand the ins and outs and now confused on which Kickers to even buy cause now I think I may be getting the wrong ones.

Kickers...

http://www.quadratec.com/category/Je...s/31/index.htm
Old 10-13-2010, 03:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jerrod710

I have the infinity basslink "vamped" off the rear sub signal.. i have absolutly no issue at all, both subs sound great and very large improvement in sound.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you guys!

Old 10-13-2010, 11:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gijeep
I have the infinity basslink "vamped" off the rear sub signal.. i have absolutly no issue at all, both subs sound great and very large improvement in sound.
Yea, and you shouldn't have any issues..that system is made to be able to do what you did with it. The original poster asked if he could bridge the infinity system and that it was a 2 ohm load..in order to get a 2 ohm load you will need a dual voice coil 4 ohm speaker hook in parallel..this will give him what he needed.

Quick Reply: stock sub switch