Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Tailgate mounted subs..

Old 04-01-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate mounted subs..

Im considering upgrading the bass in my 07 4dr Sahara and ive noticed quite a few folks here have tailgate mounted subs.

I really like the idea and location for security and keeping cargo space.

I would like to know your impressions on the bass response and how much better is it than the factory 8" and the location as far as sound quality wise?

BTW mine is a soft top so i would assume that has some impact on bass.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tritonman
Im considering upgrading the bass in my 07 4dr Sahara and ive noticed quite a few folks here have tailgate mounted subs.

I really like the idea and location for security and keeping cargo space.

I would like to know your impressions on the bass response and how much better is it than the factory 8" and the location as far as sound quality wise?

BTW mine is a soft top so i would assume that has some impact on bass.
This is how I got mine set up:

It's a 12 inch Kenwood with a Alpine 500 Watt Amp. It pounds!

Anyways, it is much more deep and powerful then the factory sub, and I have a softtop. I even took the top down today and really didn't lose too much sound. If you want to stick with an 8 inch, JL Audio makes an 8 inch enclosed speaker that is in a little smaller box than I have now. JL makes some quality stuff.

Hope my post helped out - Good Luck!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Actually a 12" is the way I would like to go, so that's perfect. I was concerned about the bass with the sub firing forward, but from what you are saying then its not an issue!!

Is there any additional stress on the tailgate with the added weight?

Where did you purchase the enclosure?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Actually a 12" is the way I would like to go, so that's perfect. I was concerned about the bass with the sub firing forward, but from what you are saying then its not an issue!!

Is there any additional stress on the tailgate with the added weight?

Where did you purchase the enclosure?
I am a bass freak , so I like to feel it. My Stereo is completely stock except for the 12 inch Kenwood and the Alpine MRP-M500 Amp and it sounds good.

My enclosure is about 23 lbs, and I haven't noticed any stress. I figured the tailgate can hold my bikes and bike rack, what's another 23 lbs? (I just bought a hitch carrier and stopped using the tire bike rack...) Also, I've had this set-up for a couple months, and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, except you feel the "heft" when closing the door. I also added the stock grill for the Kenwood.

I had my enclosure custom-made (PM me for that info, not sure if I can post the name). JL Audio makes an 8 inch enclosed sub for around 250 - and its a bit smaller than mine (Same width and depth, about 3 inches less in the height). It sounds just fine, but I'm a bass freak , and I wanted something that carried a little more bottom. I think Rockford Fosgate makes an enclosed 10/12 inch, too. Both of those are about the same dimensions as my custom box.

My only regret now is that I wish I bought a 5 channel amp. I want to change out the rest of the speakers, but eh, I need more "mods" anyways !!

Bottom line - I had a smile from ear to ear when I first heard this set-up. I've been dying with my stock stereo for two years before I did something about it. There are some other great ideas on this thread - https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ight=show+subs

This is where I got the idea from. Good Luck!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is another cool idea, and I believe he has a write-up for this! His forum name is "RUNIT3".
Old 04-02-2010, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeamsterOwl
I am a bass freak , so I like to feel it. My Stereo is completely stock except for the 12 inch Kenwood and the Alpine MRP-M500 Amp and it sounds good.

My enclosure is about 23 lbs, and I haven't noticed any stress. I figured the tailgate can hold my bikes and bike rack, what's another 23 lbs? (I just bought a hitch carrier and stopped using the tire bike rack...) Also, I've had this set-up for a couple months, and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, except you feel the "heft" when closing the door. I also added the stock grill for the Kenwood.

I had my enclosure custom-made (PM me for that info, not sure if I can post the name). JL Audio makes an 8 inch enclosed sub for around 250 - and its a bit smaller than mine (Same width and depth, about 3 inches less in the height). It sounds just fine, but I'm a bass freak , and I wanted something that carried a little more bottom. I think Rockford Fosgate makes an enclosed 10/12 inch, too. Both of those are about the same dimensions as my custom box.

My only regret now is that I wish I bought a 5 channel amp. I want to change out the rest of the speakers, but eh, I need more "mods" anyways !!

Bottom line - I had a smile from ear to ear when I first heard this set-up. I've been dying with my stock stereo for two years before I did something about it. There are some other great ideas on this thread - https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ight=show+subs

This is where I got the idea from. Good Luck!
Good info to put me in the right direction..im sold now on the tailgate mount option. Now i just need to find a box and a sub.

I already have a 4 channel amp, but i tend to agree with you and i may go the 5 channel route to make the install easier and power the other speakers as well.

I appreciate you taking the time to post, its been a big help!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here is another cool idea, and I believe he has a write-up for this! His forum name is "RUNIT3".
I did see this install and liked it, but sadly i just dont have that kind of time or skill to accomplish something like that :(
Old 04-02-2010, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good info to put me in the right direction..im sold now on the tailgate mount option. Now i just need to find a box and a sub.

I already have a 4 channel amp, but i tend to agree with you and i may go the 5 channel route to make the install easier and power the other speakers as well.

I appreciate you taking the time to post, its been a big help!
Hey, Thanks MAN!

It's the first time I feel like I "contributed" to the forum... LOL!

Good Luck and post some pics when you complete your build!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:59 PM
JK Freak

This is how I got mine set up:

It's a 12 inch Kenwood with a Alpine 500 Watt Amp. It pounds!

Anyways, it is much more deep and powerful then the factory sub, and I have a softtop. I even took the top down today and really didn't lose too much sound. If you want to stick with an 8 inch, JL Audio makes an 8 inch enclosed speaker that is in a little smaller box than I have now. JL makes some quality stuff.

Hope my post helped out - Good Luck!
is that a small enclosure sub? that box looks tiny! i do like that set up though. i'm gonna pm u for the details. thanks!
Old 04-04-2010, 09:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Any door rattle problems? my buddy has two 10's in his TJ and they arent even on the tailgate but the damn thing rattles like a bitch.

Quick Reply: Tailgate mounted subs..