Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

There's a lot that I don't understand about lighting...help

Old 02-08-2013, 07:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default There's a lot that I don't understand about lighting...help

Here I am trying to narrow a cloudy vision in my mind about what the outcome of my lighting project should look like. It seems there's one of every shape, size, and bulb type out there. Lots of cool stuff.

I think I'd like to go with 2 windshield pillar mounted lights, and a flood for the mast on the rear tire carrier. It almost feels like I'm under-building my setup. Here are some questions:

1. LED vs conventional/halogen: I know a LED bulb itself uses very little power, but in an automotive setup I know resistors are used for various reasons. In the end, does a LED lamp assembly (with resistor) use less power than a regular halogen lamp assembly--assuming they're the same size, just different type bulbs?

2. With the factory headlights and driving/fog lights on, and two windshield-pillar lights running, am I at risk of pulling too much current at idle? What about if I added two more lights on the front bumper? I know there has to be a point at which the draw is too much for the alternator to keep up with. Does the Jeep's computer have a fast-idle setting that will kick in?

3. Are windshield pillar lights legal for on-road use? My gut feeling is NO. If you've been caught, what's the typical penalty? Equipment violation?

What are the top brands these days, and who makes really high quality stuff?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1. LED vs conventional/halogen: I know a LED bulb itself uses very little power, but in an automotive setup I know resistors are used for various reasons. In the end, does a LED lamp assembly (with resistor) use less power than a regular halogen lamp assembly--assuming they're the same size, just different type bulbs?
When replacing OE halogen lamps with LED's, it may be necessary to use a resistor. Resistors are not needed for auxiliary LED lights. Yes, resistors do add to the current draw of the LED lamps. Probably not as much as the halogen lamp. But close. The benifits are in the life span of the lamp. LED's last a lot longer.

2. With the factory headlights and driving/fog lights on, and two windshield-pillar lights running, am I at risk of pulling too much current at idle? What about if I added two more lights on the front bumper? I know there has to be a point at which the draw is too much for the alternator to keep up with. Does the Jeep's computer have a fast-idle setting that will kick in?
What size alternator do you have? 140 Amp. 160 Amp? Subtract aproximately 60 Amps for the normal opperations of the vehicle. The rest is usable. But, that doesnt mean that you should consistantly use all of it. Rule of thumb: you may consistantly use 80% of any system.

3. Are windshield pillar lights legal for on-road use? My gut feeling is NO. If you've been caught, what's the typical penalty? Equipment violation?
Yes - illegal. These days, I don't think that there are any fines cheeper than a couple hundred. And that's just minimum. I have no idea what the upper end is. And I don't want to find out.

What are the top brands these days, and who makes really high quality stuff? .
To subjective.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I appreciate the reply. In theory I should have the 140amp alternator but even then it doesn't sound like running 2 additional lights would be a concern.

I've been looking around....does anyone make a wiring kit for aux lights, in general? I want to do an a-pillar switch setup and wire up everything right with fuses, relays, etc, with the interest of maybe adding more lights later, or other accessories.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are a couple kits out there. But they are expensive. If you are willing to invest time in learning and a custom install, you can save yourself a lot of money. And have better end result.

Quick Reply: There's a lot that I don't understand about lighting...help