Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

U-Connect Mic Issues

Old 08-18-2018, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-Connect Mic Issues

I have a 2008 Wrangler with the RER radio. I purchased the u-connect mic kit that has the short lead from the radio and the mic that plugs into it. The radio recognizes that there is a mic and I can place calls and hear the person talking but they cannot hear me and voice commands do not work. The jeep dealer spent an hour looking into it before they gave up. I went to the NavRepair web site and got the latest firmware and grace notes installed but that didn't help. I also requested help from NavRepair and have been waiting 3 weeks for a response. Anybody have an idea?
Old 08-19-2018, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

What's the model number on your RER radio? Also, do you have anything with bluetooth connected to the the radio while trying to make a talk on the phone, etc.??

You might compare notes with this guy, seems to be the same issue.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...ng-rhr-347461/

Last edited by ShawnInPaso; 08-19-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

I'm not in front of my radio right now but I believe the model number is 730N or something like that. It is the RER. There are no other Bluetooth devices turned on. I can hear phone calls through the speakers but no one can hear me. Also the voice commands don't work.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

Ok. I just went out and changed mic's and paired my phone to uconnect. It shows the phone signal and battery level at the bottom of the display. My phone model number and directory shows up on the display and I can place calls. I called my home number to get the answering machine and the display shows my name and house number and I can hear the phone ring and the answering message but when I leave a message it doesn't come through. I think I will try disconnecting the battery for a while and see if the radio just needs to be rebooted. The firmware version I'm using is 2.404 and the grace notes is 6905.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Well I really feel for you now. I Googled the issue and found so many horror stories with people having the same problem you are with the mic. I'm supposing you've already done a search, but if not lots of good info out there on potential fixes.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just went through the same thing with my wife's 07 JK that I put an RHR in. I finally got it to work after purchasing the 3rd mic. The first 2 were DOA and they were brand new in box. I was like you trying to figure out if I needed the dealer or what. Bought the first mic from ebay, no good. Bought the second mic from Infotainment, no good. Called Infotainment and told them my issues, the guy said it sound like a bad mic and that he sees bad mics quite often on these. He sent me a replacement and well, third time is a charm I suppose.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search looking for the steps that include the updates you need to make to the engineering menu. Just need to be super careful so you don't screw up the entire radio and brick it. But there are very detailed instructions on what changes need to be made.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think this was the thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...0/#post1946593

Quick Reply: U-Connect Mic Issues