Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

UConnect

Old 08-15-2009, 08:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UConnect

So, I recently started looking into the UConnect option after a buddy received a call on the trail through the stereo. (I don't have the MyGIG model, btw). I call Sirius, because the button is on their unit. They know nothing about it. Go to the stealership, and find out I have to buy the module and mic for $250, and then turn around and pay the service guys to flash the radio to activate it.

Oh, the service guys tell me that they have to install the kit too. "We even had an AF Engineer try to hook it up and we had to straighten out the mess after he couldn't. There's a bunch or wires and the instructions aren't helpful at all" Blah Blah Blah. And the best part... quoted 2hrs for the install and flash. That's $200 on top of the kit cost.

I've read on here of folks doing the install themselves, and also 0.5-1.0 hrs to get it flashed and working.

Still think that if I have the button staring at me everyday, since day one of purchase, that it should work from the factory without me having to pay more.

Some folks post up here what you paid, and what you were able to do yourself install-wise so I can prove their quote was inflated and an attempt to take my $.

Last edited by DoubleG; 08-15-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

It depends on what radio you have......If you have the MyGIG with Navi and a Uconnect button on the unit, all you need is the $40 mic. If not, and you have a Uconnect compatible one, you need the kit for $250+ and stealership activation as stated. Most service depts don't know that teh MyGIG Navis can be EASILY activated with just a mic and a trip into the engineering menu.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JeepDawg
It depends on what radio you have......If you have the MyGIG with Navi and a Uconnect button on the unit, all you need is the $40 mic. If not, and you have a Uconnect compatible one, you need the kit for $250+ and stealership activation as stated. Most service depts don't know that teh MyGIG Navis can be EASILY activated with just a mic and a trip into the engineering menu.
Sorry... I should have mentioned... I have the single disc NON MyGIG one. I wish all I had to do was spend $40...

Old 08-16-2009, 09:10 AM
JK Super Freak

On my old single disc radio, I ended up getting the kit discounted through my parts department for around $225. I installed the kit myself which took about 30 minutes in the garage, with stopping to talk to my buddy who stopped by. I then took it to the dealership and they charged me .5 hour of labor for the flash, which at their rates was $44.

And they're lying about the plugs...there's 5 plugs in the whole kit:

1. Female 22 pin connector - unplug factory connector from radio and plug this into the radio.
2. Male 22 pin connector - plug factory wire harness from number 1 into this.
3. Female 10 pin connector - grouped with 1 and 2, this plugs into the middle port on the radio
4. UConnect module connector - plugs into UConnect module
5. 3 pin connector - Microphone plugs into this.

Seriously, a trained monkey can do it. There is one extra connector on the UConnect module, but it's only used if you add the iPod cable.

Last edited by jwilson2598; 08-16-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 08RubiUnlimited
On my old single disc radio, I ended up getting the kit discounted through my parts department for around $225. I installed the kit myself which took about 30 minutes in the garage, with stopping to talk to my buddy who stopped by. I then took it to the dealership and they charged me .5 hour of labor for the flash, which at their rates was $44.

And they're lying about the plugs...there's 5 plugs in the whole kit:

1. Female 22 pin connector - unplug factory connector from radio and plug this into the radio.
2. Male 22 pin connector - plug factory wire harness from number 1 into this.
3. Female 10 pin connector - grouped with 1 and 2, this plugs into the middle port on the radio
4. UConnect module connector - plugs into UConnect module
5. 3 pin connector - Microphone plugs into this.

Seriously, a trained monkey can do it. There is one extra connector on the UConnect module, but it's only used if you add the iPod cable.
Thanks! This is what I was hoping for. Simple plug-in connectors and a half hour rate charge. Should have told them I'm a mechanic of 20 years and was on to their BS. Now, if I can just find the kit from someone on here or elsewhere for cheaper.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check these sites out for good Mopar parts prices.....

wermopar.com

moparpartsnorthwest.com
Old 08-16-2009, 02:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JeepDawg
Check these sites out for good Mopar parts prices.....

wermopar.com

moparpartsnorthwest.com
Hmm.. WeRMopar = $216 and MoparNW = $235

Old 08-17-2009, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Angry U Dont Connect

I attempted to solve this problem the old fashioned way, I went through a long and arduous customer satisfaction call with chrysler on Uconnect.

My dealer told me he could hook it up for a mere $495, that in 3 production years the brain trust in the factory couldnt fgure where to stick the mike since the windshield folds down. However his service department could get the factory parts and install it on the windshield frame.

Chrysler customer satisfaction told me, with a straight face, that it is up to the dealer to explain that the 2 buttons on my REQ 'UConnect' stereo intentionally do not function. (As if a car salesman would ever say anything negative that might kill the sale.)

I got to the supervisor level; the highest level. Managers above that level don't talk to customers.

The agent was a nice guy,and was clearly very careful about not saying too much, but it was pretty clear he agreed that having buttons on a stereo that imply the stereo is blue tooth enabled, and that dont actually work is at best directly misleading the consumer.

However, since the sales codes they had did not indicate that I had been sold a microphone, there was nothing they could do to help. Sigh.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Hi all,

I am very interested in setting up the UConnect feature as well. I want to make sure that I have all of my facts straight.

I have a 2008 Sahara with the single CD (non-navi) Sirius stereo with both of the buttons on the top row.

With that said, all I should need to purchase is the MOPAR 'Uconnect Hands Free Cellular Kit w/ iPod Integration'. Part # 82211878 for around $225 to $250, and install it.

Then bring the Jeep to the service department to have them utilize the StarScan tool and 'enable' the new device within the stereo.

Is that it, or am I missing something?

Thanks !!

Mike
Old 08-17-2009, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Mike, you have it 100% correct. Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: UConnect