Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Uconnect and Ipod cable

Old 04-03-2009, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed uconnect on my REN mygig (2008 Jeep wrangler) and the dealer is having a hard time getting it to work... I have checked and rechecked to make sure that it is the correct part number for the uconnect.. Any advice or instructions I can show them ??

Thanks
Old 04-03-2009, 06:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Does Uconnect work simply with a software update and a mic on the RENs?

And when you say you "Installed Uconnect" what did you do? Latest software and the mic?
Old 04-03-2009, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

No... I wish it was that easy with the REN radios... I had to install the wire harness and the uconnect box itself..
Old 04-03-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Ah, ok, so with the REN you basically have to perform the same starscan that is performed on the single and 6 disc head units. Gotcha. And getting the dealer to do that correctly can be a chore.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

Well they tried it once for about an hour, and I even showed them the printed instructions that came with the kit.. and now the funny thing is my remote start stopped working and my uconnect still don't work...lol
Old 04-03-2009, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

I had a ton of problems when I tried to put an REN in my JK and never could get UConnect to work with it. I had the UConnect installed and working fine with my REQ 6 disc changer. Then I installed the REN and it quit working, but the iPod kept working correctly. 5 days at 2 different dealerships still could not get it to work. I finally gave up, returned the REN and put the REQ back in. dsy here on the forums reported that when installed a REN in his JK, his UConnect also stopped working. Then he installed the lockpick and bam, it started working again. Based on our experiences, I think you either need a Lockpick for REN and UConnect to work, or your SOL.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

So what your saying is that I am able to use Allgig or Lockpick with the uconnect module I installed ???
Old 04-06-2009, 03:26 PM
JK Newbie

Bump....anyone?
Old 04-06-2009, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Shmoove
Bump....anyone?
Yes you can also use lockpick or allgig, DSY has the ren/uconnect/lockpick combo. Poor guy though, there's nothing else cool about his JK. lol Ask him, I'm sure he'll tell you if there's any tricks you need to know.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

I decided to sell my iPod cable on eBay. I ordered a remote for my iPod and ran a power plug into the glovebox and will just use the AUX cable to make it work. Just don't have the cash to buy a new radio. oh well.

Quick Reply: Uconnect and Ipod cable