Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Under Door Courtesy/Rock Lights

Old 09-12-2013, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Under Door Courtesy/Rock Lights

I would like to mount a LED light strip under each door on my JKU that both comes on when pressing he unlock button on my key fob and can also be switched on from the cabin. Is this possible to wire them up this way?

I want them to come on when pressing the lock/unlock button on the key fob so when approaching the jeep I can see the ground around it. I also want them to be able to be turned on from the cabin for manual use or night driving when I need to see the ground below me.

I think the interior dome light works in the same manner (manual on/off and key fob activated). So I'm thinking I could tap the dome light wire and install a switch as well. I am just not sure exactly how to do it.

Would love it if someone could give me a very specific outline / wire diagram for doing this. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you search for the led interior mod then you should quickly find the wire that controls that stuff. I would pull it up for you but I'm on tapatalk and it's a little tough to search.

On my 10 it was just a single wire as part of the loom in the passenger footwell that a quick scotchlock connector fixed right up. Run a wire from there to your LED strips and you're all set.

A precaution though- get the white, even the lightest blue doesn't match well. If you get the lightest (brightest) blue then you'll want to get matching dome bulbs (which I did) and they had a low glow to them after closing the doors. A resistor may fix it, but that's more work than just getting the right LED strips.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-13-2013, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I wanted them to come on with the dome lights when remotely unlocking the doors and such, but also be able to turn them on separately from the dome lights, how would I separate them in regards to wiring. Special switch, relay, etc.?

If I wired them into the dome light wire like I've read and if my wife or kids were to turn the dome light on while driving, would the under lights come on as well?
Old 09-13-2013, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm interested and would love to do this too. Can't wait to see your pictures or write-up!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want the lights turned on from two sources you will want a relay. I too installed footwell lights by splicing into the dome circuit along the floor on the passenger side. There's a plastic wire way along the floor. The dome light wire is yellow with a white stripe. If you installed your lights the same way they would come on when ALL of the dome lights come on. ( key fob, open door, column switch ) If you press one individual dome light on, that's all that will come on.

Last edited by DKehler; 09-13-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

There"s a wiring diagram in this thread, post #5. Instead of having the reverse lights trigger the relay make your dome light circuit trigger the relay. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...lights-139263/
Old 06-27-2015, 04:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Reviving an old thread.

Has anyone dealt with the PWM problem with the dome light? I am powering my rock lights from a relay. I have a SPDT switch, that when in one position, powers 12V to the relay, which turns on the rock lights. The other position, ties the dome light power (yellow w/white stripe) to the relay. The problem is, as the dome light dims, the relay begins to chatter. This is going to wear out the coil pretty fast.

I've read a few things here about diodes or capacitors, but I'm not sure this works for PWM power sources.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

When wiring the rock lights to the dome lights. Wiring them through the relay isn't needed. Splice into the wire for the dome lights and installing a 1 way diode then connect it to the rock lights. This will allow power to transfer through with the dome light but it prevents power to the dome lights when the switch for the rock lights is on.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Reviving an old thread.

Has anyone dealt with the PWM problem with the dome light? I am powering my rock lights from a relay. I have a SPDT switch, that when in one position, powers 12V to the relay, which turns on the rock lights. The other position, ties the dome light power (yellow w/white stripe) to the relay. The problem is, as the dome light dims, the relay begins to chatter. This is going to wear out the coil pretty fast.

I've read a few things here about diodes or capacitors, but I'm not sure this works for PWM power sources.
So you have it set up like this except instead of going directly to the LEDs you are feeding the control circuit on a relay which then turns on the LEDs. I didn't know the dome was a pwm wire but I can see how that would cause the chatter.

Last edited by 14Sport; 06-28-2015 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy18
When wiring the rock lights to the dome lights. Wiring them through the relay isn't needed. Splice into the wire for the dome lights and installing a 1 way diode then connect it to the rock lights. This will allow power to transfer through with the dome light but it prevents power to the dome lights when the switch for the rock lights is on.
Driving too much from a circuit not designed for it can be problematic, which is why I decided to use a relay in between the rock lights and the switch.

Quick Reply: Under Door Courtesy/Rock Lights