Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Under-Seat Sub Box Installed

Old 07-06-2013, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under-Seat Sub Box Installed

On Tuesday I installed a Sundown Audio SD-2 ten inch sub along with a custom box made by Mattk11. I have Polk db51s coaxials in the rear, a Polk db6501 component system in the front and a JVC Arsenal head unit. Those used to be powered by a Kenwood X450-4 amp, but since I added a sub, it's all powered by a Earthquake TD5X. Matt did a great job on the box. Here are some install pictures of the sub and post install.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 07-06-2013, 10:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey you never said what year your Jeep is. I was assuming it was a '12 or '13 but it looks a little older than that. Glad to know everything fit.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's a 2010. Everything went well

Old 07-07-2013, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe this should have went into the Show and Tell section

Old 03-30-2017, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Default Heated Seats?

Looks like you have heated seats...how did you work around them? There's a factory mount point that keeps getting in the way. The subs don't tap the metal of the seat underneath?
Old 03-30-2017, 07:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by xCrossTip
Looks like you have heated seats...how did you work around them? There's a factory mount point that keeps getting in the way. The subs don't tap the metal of the seat underneath?
The seats operate as normal. You do need to re-locate a couple brackets but the heated seats and sliding features work like usual.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

Default Design

Originally Posted by Mattk11
The seats operate as normal. You do need to re-locate a couple brackets but the heated seats and sliding features work like usual.
Well, I'm going to attempt this myself. Yours are the best I've seen, but I can't afford the price tag for two of these (both side), or a least the wife would kill me. However, I can afford the materials, spend the time and have set of tools that have been for woodworking that I could use for this. (Tablesaw, Jigsaw, complex miter/chop, Router and table, circle guide, Dremel, etc...)

Obviously the bottom of your box is fiberglass, but did you use MDF for the upper portions? How did you box it out? You don't by chance have any diagrams or measurements you can share do you? Where did you relocate the heated seat connections...

This is all based on the 'if you mind sharing'. I understand you make these and would rather make money off of them. So I understand if you don' want to share.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by xCrossTip
Well, I'm going to attempt this myself. Yours are the best I've seen, but I can't afford the price tag for two of these (both side), or a least the wife would kill me. However, I can afford the materials, spend the time and have set of tools that have been for woodworking that I could use for this. (Tablesaw, Jigsaw, complex miter/chop, Router and table, circle guide, Dremel, etc...) Obviously the bottom of your box is fiberglass, but did you use MDF for the upper portions? How did you box it out? You don't by chance have any diagrams or measurements you can share do you? Where did you relocate the heated seat connections... This is all based on the 'if you mind sharing'. I understand you make these and would rather make money off of them. So I understand if you don' want to share.
Solid fiberglass with mdf mounting ring. We encapsulate the mounting ring with resin and shoot the whole thing with Line-x to improve durability and SQ. We've learned the hard way, don't use mdf or plywood as they won't be waterproof. We have flooded our own Jeep twice and had to gut it and pull plugs to dry it, didn't harm the boxes. Took 3-4 prototypes and multiple days over several months of the Jeep torn apart to get them right...i.e. Enough internal volume and mounting depth. There are no measurement as the top is the only flat surface on the box everything else is molded to the floor and seats to maximize volume and fit.

Last edited by Mattk11; 04-01-2017 at 02:49 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Get sub boxes made by Mattk11, I have one under my passenger seat. Can't say enough about how these things sound.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Anglico1
Get sub boxes made by Mattk11, I have one under my passenger seat. Can't say enough about how these things sound.
Hoe much does he charge?

Quick Reply: Under-Seat Sub Box Installed