Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Upgrading factory alarm

Old 02-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Zee
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a follow-up, took the Jeep to another dealer, and Renfrew screwed up when they installe the alarm. My interior lights have stopped working, so they think there is ahort somewhere. What a mess.

Moral of the story, Mopar EVS alarm sucks.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

If your looking for another system, I got the Avital 4400 with a proximity sensor addon and it works great. It also have a LCD remote telling me whats going on with my car which is a feature I mainly wanted. The range isn't two impressive with this unit and that is why it is priced much lower than other 2way lcd remote systems.
Took forever to tweak the sensor to get it perfect. Even now it is a bit weak but ill fix that later.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kuba
If your looking for another system, I got the Avital 4400 with a proximity sensor addon and it works great. It also have a LCD remote telling me whats going on with my car which is a feature I mainly wanted. The range isn't two impressive with this unit and that is why it is priced much lower than other 2way lcd remote systems.
Took forever to tweak the sensor to get it perfect. Even now it is a bit weak but ill fix that later.

I'm getting a Avital 4400 remote start/alarm with a perimeter sensor installed March 6th, they say it's rated for 1000 feet. The main reason I didn't go with a Mopar EVS upgrade is that it states it can not be used with a remote start.

With the 4400 is there any problems removing the doors? Also with the dome light delay do you need to wait for the dome light to go out before arming? Where did the installer mount the prox. sensor? Thanks......

Rick
Old 02-17-2008, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rickc309
I'm getting a Avital 4400 remote start/alarm with a perimeter sensor installed March 6th, they say it's rated for 1000 feet. The main reason I didn't go with a Mopar EVS upgrade is that it states it can not be used with a remote start.

With the 4400 is there any problems removing the doors? Also with the dome light delay do you need to wait for the dome light to go out before arming? Where did the installer mount the prox. sensor? Thanks......

Rick
I got this system in the winter so I have not experienced the system without doors. My understanding is, however, that the system can just bypass zones. So if it senses that the doors are open it will activate everything but the doors. When you lock, it will chirp like 2 times instead of 1 time telling you something was bypassed. The led flashes at a certain frequency to indicate doors were bypassed.

With the dome light, I haven't noticed anything specifically since I really never thought about it, but ill look into this and test it out.

The installer put the proximity sensor under the console area. Sorta difficult to explain where but there is a large crack they shoved it in. There was some tube coming out of the floor at that spot so I zip tied it to that since they didn't secure it. Ill get a picture up.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kuba
I got this system in the winter so I have not experienced the system without doors. My understanding is, however, that the system can just bypass zones. So if it senses that the doors are open it will activate everything but the doors. When you lock, it will chirp like 2 times instead of 1 time telling you something was bypassed. The led flashes at a certain frequency to indicate doors were bypassed.

With the dome light, I haven't noticed anything specifically since I really never thought about it, but ill look into this and test it out.

The installer put the proximity sensor under the console area. Sorta difficult to explain where but there is a large crack they shoved it in. There was some tube coming out of the floor at that spot so I zip tied it to that since they didn't secure it. Ill get a picture up.

Thanks I'd appreciate it, it my help my installer out. He told me he has done several jeeps but I never asked about a JK. For some reason he frowns on a hood pin. He says they are a pain to keep operating properly. I told him that I would prefer to have my hood secure also. He's looking into it. He mentioned the floor console for the prox. sensor. I was thinking the sound bar might be a better mounting area. I guess I'll just leave it up to him. A pic would be nice when you can get one posted. Thanks....

Rick
Old 02-17-2008, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alright, so I tried arming with my door open and it worked fine(sensor still went off). Also, I armed while the dome light was still on and no problems. I could only get that dome light to stay on once, still don't understand when it stays on for a while or goes off quickly.

As for the sensor.

This is where it was placed, no taking apart of the console necessary. You can see the black red blue green wire going to it

You can't see it in this pic but I zip tied it to some black tube coming out of the floor going somewhere up to the center controls. Don't really know what I attached to but would like to know. Its not exactly in the center as it should be but the sensitivity seems to be equal on both sides. It is a bit weak in the back as more movement is needed for it to chirp (only chirps if you get too close, full blast once inside=p.i.t.a. to adjust sensitivity).

The main unit is on the other side of the foot well...

This is up high in the foot well. The black shaft you see on the right side of the pic is the braking shaft going into the vacuum booster. Against the body of the jeep is some metal framing. The unit is shoved in between the metal framing and the body wall of the jeep. There is a tar hole right here for easy access to the battery (black circle with red cable coming out). The clear box is the shock sensor.

Last edited by kuba; 02-18-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Zee
JK Freak

EVS is finally working. The dome light problem was preventing the alarm from working properly. If I bump the Jeep, it chirps the horn, if I bump it again, the alarm sounds. I can't open the hood without setting off the chock sensor, so even though they no longer use the hood switch, with the shock sensor set on high, you cannot open the hood without setting the alarm off.

With the top off, it would be impossible to climb in without setting the alarm off.

There is a guy with a very loud truck on my street, when he drives by, the alarm chirps once but does not go off.

All in all, it appears t be ok now. Is it worth the $400 it cost me, I don't think so, there is probably much better out there for that price.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:50 AM
JK Newbie

Default Viper 5002

I'm thinking of installing this one and adding the proximaty sensor. Has anyone used this alarm system? Is it reliable? I've heard that the proximaty sensors are hard to adjust. Of couse the reason I want it is for when I have the soft top down... thoughts?

Quick Reply: Upgrading factory alarm