Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Upgrading the Sound System any ideas?

Old 04-04-2008, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upgrading the Sound System any ideas?

Hey everyone, I'm the newbie in the class! Looking to pump out some amps in my JK. Anyone got any loud ideas? Not so sure I wanna to go with a kicker cause of losing space but for sure an amp. Just looking to see if there is some wisdom to be passed along.

TY........

JustJeepN

Last edited by JustJeepN; 04-04-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Same here, I'm looking for a sub setup but can't find a good space to fit the amplifier. I was looking at a 12" kicker in a truck box.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

I did the infinity bass link. its pretty compact and has built in amp on a 10" sub. sounds great. you won't be vibrating cars around you with it but for the size and price i couldnt be happier.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spankyman2187
Same here, I'm looking for a sub setup but can't find a good space to fit the amplifier. I was looking at a 12" kicker in a truck box.
I went with a JL Audio 10" sub man this thing kicks hooked to an Infinity 300x1 amp, I mounted the amp on the side of the box and all the wires have disconnects so I can take it out easy when I need the room or going without the top.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	box resize.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	21852  
Old 04-07-2009, 05:57 AM
JK Newbie

I am working on sketching up an idea for a sub box. I'l post it when completed
Old 04-07-2009, 09:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I run the Blaupunkt THb 210A under the rear passenger seat. Fits real nice. I also replaced my stock speakers with Blaupunkt Gtx 652 coaxials. Made a big difference. Al though it's not ground shaking by any means, it sounds great.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey guys,
Just upgraded my system last weekend. I have the RER Mygig for a head unit and the factory Infinity speakers with factory sub. I wanted a little more low end, so I decided to have a box built for me. I ordered my box from a guy on Ebay. Here is a link to his custom JK box:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jeep-Wrangler-JK...4.c0.m14.l1262

I had him design one with a single 12" sub enclosure. I kept the width at 43" and the depth at 14" and lowered the height to 11.75". My sub in the 12" Alpine Type R dual 4 ohm voice coils rated at 600 watts rms. I am running a monoblock Sony Xplod slimline amp with a rms rated at 290 watts (this amp is tiny 8x8x1.75). The box looks like it is part of the Jeep with the gray carpet and I still have a good portion of my cargo space. We put the amp underneath the box with quick disconnects so that the box can come out quickly. We tapped into the wires coming out of the factory sub...and yes, I still use my factory sub as well. The system sounds great, not TOO MUCH bass so that you can feel me coming, but enough to fill the cab with some lows, with or without the softtop. I love it!!! I am going to replace the speakers in the soundbar with either Infinity or Polk. Hope this helps...

Scott
Old 04-08-2009, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

My freedom tops have never leaked, but one day after washing the jeep, i had all the doors shut and was adjusting my system and had It cranked up and two drips of water came in between the two panels and landed on the gear shift, I guess the vibration let the water leak in, but it has never done it again. So I ask how much sound pressure can the JK handle,? because I have only one 10" JL audio.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just put in a PowerBass 300.1 amp and a PowerBass 10" sub in a cheap box and what a HUGE difference over the stock sub! It's a relatively inexpensive setup and will totally blow your mind. I run the amp at about 50% gain and it's almost too much. I also just put in a set of the super tweeters from Quadratec specifically designed for the JK. No modding necessary just plug and play. They are actually PowerBass XL2 tweeters and e-crossovers. DAMN they sound good! Another HUGE improvement over the stock Infinity crap! Two great upgrades in my book!

Quick Reply: Upgrading the Sound System any ideas?