Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

USB or Charging Cable in Arm rest

Old 11-22-2017, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USB or Charging Cable in Arm rest

Happy Thanksgiving to all...........

I just ordered a new headunit and I want to use the rear USB port to control/charge my phone. In the past, when using an ipod I ran the cable into the glove box but now I would rather run the cable to the arm rest in my JK.

Has anyone done this? It can't be that difficult but I'm hoping someone could give me some tips or the wire path of least resistance. =)

Thank you all in advance.

Mike
Old 01-07-2018, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I misreading this, or do some JKs not come with the USB port in the armrest, or were you not aware it is already there? My 2016 has a USB port in the armrest. Maybe you overlooked it?
Old 02-07-2018, 04:22 AM
JK Newbie

If you have a 2010 like me there is no usb female so i made mine. I bought a new headunit for my jku, there were 2 usb ports for it. One for apple carplay the other for android auto. I cut 2 usb size holes for into the centerconcel. bought a 10 usb cable and streched them the length to the 2 holes in the centerconcel, i added some liquid nail type stuff to leave them in place. The liquid nail took kinda a while to dry b/c i did this in the summer in Florida, and even though it sat in a garage it was about a week before it was completely stable. I love it, It works great and if someone in the passanger seat needs a charge i dont need to give up mine. Also love how its descrete it is. Taking everything out gave me a chance to paint it b/c i hated the gray and made it all black.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our 2017 has an always on 12 v outlet in the armrest. No USB and NOT controlled by the ignition key.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OldHippie
Our 2017 has an always on 12 v outlet in the armrest. No USB and NOT controlled by the ignition key.
This is how I charge my phone...put a USB charger in the armrest cigarette lighter port and run the cable up/out of the armrest to the phone. That port is always hot and will charge your phone even when the Jeep is turned off. I have a 2017 JKU.

If you have one of those I'd recommend going that route, easiest solution. Otherwise you could put a USB charger in your dashboard cigarette lighter port and charge phone that way. That port is only hot when the key is in the ignition though.

Quick Reply: USB or Charging Cable in Arm rest