Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Weird rear blinker behavior

Old 03-12-2009, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird rear blinker behavior

Can anyone tell me what's going on? It's not a bad bulb. Do I need to take it in to the dealer?

I have no left rear blinker or brake lights, and when I try to turn left, it does the fast blinking. BUT... when I turn the headlights on, the left rear blinker does light up. So the bulb isn't bad. It just doesn't want to go into "bright" mode for braking or turninig.

Or does the bulb have two filaments, and only one is broken?
Old 03-12-2009, 11:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two filaments. The dim one comes on with the headlights. The bright one lights up for brakes. Not sure whether Dim or Bright is turn signal. Swap the bulb to the right side and see what happens.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I actually have this exact same problem. I tried switching in new bulbs and it did not fix it. I am taking it in to the dealer this Saturday. I'll let you know how it went for me, if you haven't figured it out.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

So, yeah I got my jeep back from the dealer today. Good news and bad news. The good news is that it is fixed and it was just a bad bulb. I know I grabbed the right kind from autozone, I guess maybe they were just bad bulbs. The bad news is that I had to pay $23 for someone to replace a light bulb. I'm really not too happy about that, but oh well at least it is fixed. If it happens again I will just get the replacement bulbs from the dealer.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by derekjm14
So, yeah I got my jeep back from the dealer today. Good news and bad news. The good news is that it is fixed and it was just a bad bulb. I know I grabbed the right kind from autozone, I guess maybe they were just bad bulbs. The bad news is that I had to pay $23 for someone to replace a light bulb. I'm really not too happy about that, but oh well at least it is fixed. If it happens again I will just get the replacement bulbs from the dealer.

Yeah they told you it was a bad bulb, and I'v seen this cause a problem before. More likely... you had some corrosion on the contacts or not enough tension to place proper clamp on the bulb at all times. Guaranteed it was causing a weird ground.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine just started also, I'll go get the bulbs. Thanks guys for the info.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be a bad or standard duty "Flasher" if you have used a trailer recently.

Get a heavy duty flasher if changing the bulbs and cleaning the contacts doesn't work.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got a replacement bulb and installed it myself in the parking lot with my trusty leatherman tool.

Part #A100A-2 L0003157 (not sure if the A100A-2 is part of the # cause my receipt printed crooked).

Total cost was $3.91 out the door.

Simple to change, undo screws, pull entire light body away from the jeep body. You can see two round plugs with wiring attachted to the light body. Turn the top one a quarter turn and the plug pulls out. The bulb is a 'plug and play' type so pull out old bulb and insert new one and reassemble in reverse order.

Total time, 10 minutes with purchasing the bulb.

Thanks again guys for the info.

Quick Reply: Weird rear blinker behavior