Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

What aftermarket head units are you guys using?

Old 06-16-2014, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What aftermarket head units are you guys using?

I am looking at upgrading my factory head unit in a 2010 JKU. I have a Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS Dbl. din unit in my truck and it is hard to see sometimes in full daylight, and the hardwire iPod connection is so slow. So I am thinking of going with a different brand.

How does the screen look with the top off in full sunlight?

How is the Bluetooth functionality?
Old 06-16-2014, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have this Sony and so far really like it. Sony WX-GT90BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

I replaced all factory speakers with Kicker 3 ways and installed a 12inch kicker sub in the back. The thing absolutely rocks. I bluetooth Pandora all the time time too. The only thing that bugs me is I dont pick up local radio stations very well, I may not have gotten a good connection on the antenna, it was the little square connector instead of the traditional round one. I just have not had a garage to tear my dash apart again in.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a Kenwood and it does great in the sunlight with the top down.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tammy
I have a Kenwood and it does great in the sunlight with the top down.
What is the model number?
Old 06-17-2014, 02:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambo JK
I am looking at upgrading my factory head unit in a 2010 JKU. I have a Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS Dbl. din unit in my truck and it is hard to see sometimes in full daylight, and the hardwire iPod connection is so slow. So I am thinking of going with a different brand.

How does the screen look with the top off in full sunlight?

How is the Bluetooth functionality?
Is your illumination wire hooked up to the trucks dimmer lights??? If it is it should be brighter with the headlights off and dimmer with lights on.
I have the AVHX-5600 and is perfect with the top up or down in full sun. By the way I love it couldn't be happier with mine I have the infinity system and kept the stock amp sound is much better now the sub really kicks I only replaced the speakers on the sound bar with polk audio 6.5's
Bluetooth pairs fine but I like to keep it plugged in to the radio, the iPod connection is good cant complain about it but once is plugged in is very responsive that's for both the iPod and cellphone use.

Last edited by stangmike1; 06-17-2014 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:29 PM
JK Freak

I'm running a Pioneer DEH-P9400BH (i use the P series units because i already own some p-bus add on devices).

Im a bit old skool - i don't need a TV in the dash - I've got more portable GPS's and a Phone.
The DEH-P9400BH (like many units) has cell phone integration (hands free & bluetooth audio) - the unit has TWO usb interfaces too.

Ive used pac-audio to preserve all the steering wheel controls & operation w/ the my aftermarket head unit..

you don't have to be a pioneer fan to do this stuff - any 3rd party aftermarket head unit will do it.

in this picture you can see the (ball) mount for my cell phone or garmin gps.

Quick Reply: What aftermarket head units are you guys using?