Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

What Battery to get?

Old 07-19-2010, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

red top is the way to go it is a better all around battery than the yellow top unless of course you do a lot of winching or have a booming stereo the red top will work fine i had a red top in my CJ for 5 years and never had a single problem plus is a little cheaper than the yellow top
Old 07-19-2010, 06:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by JMP8562
by chance do you have any installed pictures of the battery the reason im asking is , i contacted optima and this was their reply ,

Hello Jim,
If you have after market accessories you would need a Yellow Top battery. Unfortunately Optima does not have a direct fit replacement. You could possibly do a custom fitment. Below are directions for custom fitments. The only direct fit replacement that Optima has for your 2007 Jeep Wrangler JK 3.8L is a Red Top 25.
that is why im asking for a few pictures of fitment could it be that i got a person that is clewless
I got a series 34 yellow top. I took out the factory battery lock, 10mm bolt, removed the old battery, put in the yellow top and the factory battery lock. Fit perfectly with no wobble.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stvnfalcon
red top is the way to go it is a better all around battery than the yellow top unless of course you do a lot of winching or have a booming stereo the red top will work fine i had a red top in my CJ for 5 years and never had a single problem plus is a little cheaper than the yellow top
Agree with you 110%.
Quite a few jump on the Yellow Top just due to the fact that so many brag this battery up, even though thay have no real need for it. If one looks at the specs for both, one will see that unless you are going to deep cycle every so often, the Red Top is by far the better choice. That said, I got my first Red Top back in 96 for my 94XJ with A WARN 8000 that I used quite a few times, in addition it is equipped with 2 500W amps, and the Red Top served me so well that after it finally died in 2004, I put another Red Top in.
That red Top has not gone through as much winching as the first one, however I did drain it twice by leaving the headlights on all day at work, to the point that it would not even give me a click. Both times it started up with a jump and is still in the XJ.
After reading quite a few posts here of late on this forum as well as a few others I've noted that many out there who recently installed both Red and Yellow Tops have had problems, and the battery's have not lived up to their expectations. I would say that if you are using the Yellow Top as just a starting battery, it will not last as long as you might expect. In addition, I've seen that the Optima has closed the manufacturing plants here in the US and have set up shop in Mexico. This could be another reason that the batteries are not lasting like they used to. For that reason I checked into other battries, and came up with what I feel the best battery for the $$$ right now is the Platinum DieHard. The reason being that if one looks at the specs and the warranty they will find both are better than the Optima.
The Odyssey PC1500T is a group 34 battery with top posts, selling at about $260 The Sears Diehard Platinum P1 is also a group 34 battery with identical specs, selling at .$189. The Odyssey PC1500DT is a group 34 with both top and side posts selling at $280. The DieHard Platinum P4 has both the top and side posts, (34/78) with identical specs and sell at $189.
As was posted, the DieHard Platinum is a rebaged Odyssey.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

went with the Diehard platinum marine....fits and was the only thing between the two I could find in stock anywhere in the Madera/Fresno area
Old 07-21-2010, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got one of these. Pricey, but the best battery I've ever owned.
http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/8754973/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

Last edited by Robar; 07-21-2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: PLEASE DO NOT POST CLICKABLE NON SPONSOR LINKS

Quick Reply: What Battery to get?