Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

What do you guys think of this?

Old 06-30-2008, 01:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you guys think of this?

I had the tsb flash done to my Jeep for the popping through the speakers. After that you can barely hear the soundbar and sub. I went back to the dealer, and told them this was crap. I told them I wanted to put an amp out of a Dodge Nitro in the Jeep. They told me that wouldn't fix the problem, because the flash is in the pcm and not in the amp. They said the pcm tells the amp how much power to put out to each channel. They said the Nitro amp will do the same thing because the pcm is telling it what to do. Is this true? Does that mean all the people using the Nitro amp didn't do that tsb flash? They did go ahead and order the Nitro amp to see if it works, but now I'm afraid its not going to work.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Your dealer may be misrepresenting the truth. If the PCM is pre-programmed for certain acoustic parameters then those who have installed the Nitro Amp would not have experienced the noticable difference that they're all reporting. I haven't installed the Nitro amp yet, but the argument presented by your dealer as has been well refuted by the success encountered by other board forum members.

And I disagree with your dealer. I'm almost certain the flash is done via the PCM to the amp. The instructions for the flash state that if the flash fails or is stopped during the process that the amp should be discarded and replaced. That seems to indicate the amp's processor is being flashed during the upload. Just my $0.02
Old 07-01-2008, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I e-mailed Chrylser customer service today and told them i want the amp replaced at no charge. Everyone with a Sahara paid for a "premium" sound system. The sound i get from my sound bar is definitely not premium sound.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:09 PM
JK Freak

I'm really hoping this works. The way it sounds now is terrible.

Last edited by KCTW; 07-01-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by txjeeplover
Your dealer may be misrepresenting the truth. If the PCM is pre-programmed for certain acoustic parameters then those who have installed the Nitro Amp would not have experienced the noticable difference that they're all reporting. I haven't installed the Nitro amp yet, but the argument presented by your dealer as has been well refuted by the success encountered by other board forum members.

And I disagree with your dealer. I'm almost certain the flash is done via the PCM to the amp. The instructions for the flash state that if the flash fails or is stopped during the process that the amp should be discarded and replaced. That seems to indicate the amp's processor is being flashed during the upload. Just my $0.02
You make a good point, I hope your right.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:55 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Duds
I e-mailed Chrylser customer service today and told them i want the amp replaced at no charge. Everyone with a Sahara paid for a "premium" sound system. The sound i get from my sound bar is definitely not premium sound.
Good luck with that, let us know how it comes out.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Duds
Interesting..... Please let us know how it turns out.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Whats the deal with the NITRO AMP? Is there a big gain in sound just want to know
Old 07-02-2008, 12:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JC JK
Whats the deal with the NITRO AMP? Is there a big gain in sound just want to know
No, there is not.

I've got it and I'm pleased with it, as it did raise the level of volume to near equal that of the front (not quite, but close). The real problem is that the speakers up there are garbage. I was hoping that the Nitro amp would turn things around and I'd have the soundbar sound as good as the front. Nope, didn't happen. All it did was make me realize that the speakers up there need to be replaced.

Knowing that, you might want to invest in some good speakers up there and if you're still not satisfied, then try the Amp swap.

Now that I've got pretty decent speakers up there, Infinity Kappa 60.7cs, tomorrow I think I'll try swapping back to the original Sahara Amp to see what differences I can find.

Overall though, I typically listened to my music between 23-25 on the volume.

With the Nitro Amp, it came down maybe to 22-23, but while louder, it was very clear the speakers were junk.

With the new Infinity's up there, I found 18-19 to be sufficient, but I haven't properly test driven it, just did the driveway test.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Chrysler said contact a local dealer, so I called the one I have been delaing with lately who are 100 times better than the place I bought my Jepp at. The service guy is really cool and said to bring it in this saturday and he will take a look. He said he will probably have to come up with some BS but thinks he can get the Nitro amp for me, under warranty.

Originally Posted by Keith615
Interesting..... Please let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of this?