Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

What happens if... (winch question)

Old 09-17-2011, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimscale
bingote -
I installed my XRC8 by running the pos and neg directly to the battery without some lockout. While I didn't have the winch underwater like you are describing, NY likes to REALLY salt their roads.
What happened to me was the wiring from the remote port to the solenoid corroded and caused the winch to spool backward. It snarled the cable, which caused it to kink, scratched up my bumper, and I had to use a six foot breaker bar to loosen it enough to unhook it from the D-ring.
All-in-all, I'd recommend putting some kind of switch on the main power feeds.
Yeah, we don't have the salt problem here, but this is an island, so corrosion is possible. I was thinking about the safety switch anyways. Thanx for the note! I didn't know that corrosion could cause the switch to operate.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TROUPP
I think what the OP is eluding to is arcing? The DC voltage that the jeep runs, isn't enough voltage to allow the water to complete a connection. Unlike household AC voltage.. In theory you can submerge your battery 10 foot deep in water and it shouldn't have a problem as most batteries are of sealed design now. Now the rest of the jeep in that same 10ft of water will not fair as well.
Could you please take a look at this pic uploaded but WOL and read what he said in his comment below? you can see the winch of trail bud partially submerged under water, and Eddy says that the battery died on him....
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
maybe what happened is what i'm afraid of? or maybe what you say is correct and something else happened? Can anyone else help me on this one? i really need to know what to expect and what to do, cause we have lots of river crossing here when offroading.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

The Warn winch install doc that came with mine states that the winch itself is sealed but high pressure jets shouldn't be used on it. Also warns (pardon the pun) against submerging for the sake of the control box - that it isn't sealed and needs to be replaced if the winch is drowned.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ChristophB
The Warn winch install doc that came with mine states that the winch itself is sealed but high pressure jets shouldn't be used on it. Also warns (pardon the pun) against submerging for the sake of the control box - that it isn't sealed and needs to be replaced if the winch is drowned.
There is my concern... i see that box is not sealed at all... i've seen this security switches some people install in the + wire, near the battery, is like a key, and you turn it to allow or not power to the winch... if power is disconnected that way, will the control box still work after it dries up later?
Old 09-19-2011, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bingote
There is my concern... i see that box is not sealed at all... i've seen this security switches some people install in the + wire, near the battery, is like a key, and you turn it to allow or not power to the winch... if power is disconnected that way, will the control box still work after it dries up later?
Using quick connects for battery connections - leaving it unpowered until needed - might be an effective way of keeping it from shorting/cooking during dives. Hell, I"ve fully submerged my iPhone in water and after powering down and leaving it to dry for a few days it fired up OK.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

If you are on that kind of trail you will probably need your winch before 'a few days of drying out'. If not for yourself then for other people. I think I use my winch about 40% for myself and 60% for others.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I moved mine (control box) under the hood and put the plug inside the glove box. This way the water would have to come up by my battery before the control box got too wet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1975403733.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	212987   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1133910070.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	212988   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-959177039.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	212989  
Old 09-19-2011, 02:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jimmydarnell
I moved mine (control box) under the hood and put the plug inside the glove box. This way the water would have to come up by my battery before the control box got too wet.
That is one good idea.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by drunkenmugsy
If you are on that kind of trail you will probably need your winch before 'a few days of drying out'. If not for yourself then for other people. I think I use my winch about 40% for myself and 60% for others.
Yeah but i'm not wheeling that often... maybe twice a month. And since las november that u have owned my JK we have winched only twice, so it's not too bad if the winch can get wet and after a couple of sunny days (we have a lot) it's back to normal.

Quick Reply: What happens if... (winch question)