Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

windshield wipers won't shut off....

Old 09-29-2012, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield wipers won't shut off....

So we go to leave this morning, and wipers are going nonstop. Lever dpesnt do anything.
I pull the fuse out so they stop.
Now turn signals don't work and headlights stay on when the jeep is on. No high beams either.

Anyone have something like thish happen?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 07UnlimitedMD
So we go to leave this morning, and wipers are going nonstop. Lever dpesnt do anything.
I pull the fuse out so they stop.
Now turn signals don't work and headlights stay on when the jeep is on. No high beams either.

Anyone have something like thish happen?
You can disconnect your neg. battery terminal, then go inside the jeep and step on the brake to reset your computer. let your jeep sit for 5-10 minutes, and hook the cable back up. See if that helps.... any codes pop up?
The following 3 users liked this post by rmjeepthing:
Brett Lodding (11-29-2020), Cumbi (05-13-2021), tkbales (07-19-2020)
Old 09-29-2012, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the exact same problem. Disconnected the negative from battery for about 20 mins and everything was back to normal when I reconnected.
The following 2 users liked this post by El Duderino:
Big Bushwick (10-19-2023), tkbales (07-19-2020)
Old 09-29-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by El Duderino
I had the exact same problem. Disconnected the negative from battery for about 20 mins and everything was back to normal when I reconnected.
Me too. Did the same thing with the same results.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:22 PM
JK Newbie

I can't offer up any technical advice, but if all else fails, you could just move here to Seattle.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield wipers won't turn off

Originally Posted by rmjeepthing
You can disconnect your neg. battery terminal, then go inside the jeep and step on the brake to reset your computer. let your jeep sit for 5-10 minutes, and hook the cable back up. See if that helps.... any codes pop up?
Thank-you guys for your info ... Had the same problem (08-10-15) and was going out to disconnect the neg terminal, but tried one more thing ... The turn signals would not work (as stated) so I checked my lights and turned them on and off ... Something reset (?) and then everything worked fine ... Thanks for the heads up ... trihiker
The following users liked this post:
mikhull (08-03-2018)
Old 08-11-2015, 10:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Same here, just happened to me last week after having left the battery disconnected for 2 weeks when on vacation. Flipped the lights off and on and it magically fixed it. Wacky shit.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Wow, saved $$ by following this, local dealer gave me a quote of $1000. To fix my wife's wipers that wouldn't turn off then blinkers wouldn't work. I read this post and 30 minutes later everything works. Thanks to all that posted
Old 06-09-2016, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield wipers wouldn't shut off

Originally Posted by rmjeepthing
I just wanted to thank you for sharing this!! I did exactly what you did and it fixed the problem!!! Thank you so much!!! You saved me a bunch of money and a lot of stress!! Being a blonde single mom, people assume you are not smart or resourceful. If I had taken my jeep to a dealership they would have taken advantage and probably charged me a bunch of money for something you empowered me to fix myself!!!
You ROCK!!!
Thanks
Missy from SugarLand Texas 😎
The following users liked this post:
Robert Breckner (04-06-2020)
Old 07-05-2016, 09:02 PM
JK Newbie

Default '11 jp liberty, wipers won't stop, signals won't work

By disconnecting negative battery terminal for 20 min. and stepping on brake, wipers and signals returned to normal function. Thanks to all who recommended this, saved a lot of time and $.

Quick Reply: windshield wipers won't shut off....