Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Which wire

Old 10-02-2007, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which wire

I have been on the phone all day off and on with the dealership service and parts guys, and I'm really dissapointed. I am looking for the wire that feeds the inside lights. My jeep didnt come with the footwell lights, so I have bought some LED lights to wire up. I have the ground wire attached and am waiting , (for 5hrs nos) for them to look at their wireing schematics and tell me what wire I need. Duh, what is taking so long.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

Use the wires feeding the dome light in the sound bar. They come out in the right side (pass side) and run down to the floor board and up into the kick panel. There are 6 wires where it comes out of the soundbar but if you pop the dome light out you will see what color it is. You dont even need to test them for 12 volt or ground. you can see that one goes right to ground so the other one is your 12 volt. Then just trace it up to the kick panel and tap off from there. I used leds to light up my floor board but mine come on and off with the key. I used the 12 volt switched wire of the left side cig lighter. As soon as you turn the truck off they turn off. They do stay on all the time when the jeep in on but thats the way I wanted to wire them. I put them in for looks and this way I dont have a switch on my dash. Leds hardly draw any power.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the info. Shouldnt there be some wiring on the drivers side as well? I have the mount for a footwell light so I assume there is wiring there somewhere. I've had two back surgeries so my contorsionist days are over. In the meantime, I'll check the passenger side like you suggested.
Thanks
Old 10-03-2007, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Bodo,

I remember reading here that the wires for the footwell lights are already in place under the dash, just difficult to find. You just need to buy the lights to plug in. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more specifics.

I tapped into the domelight for a rearview mirror with maplights but ran the wire all the way to the domelight.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:43 AM
JK Freak

Found it! It's straight up under the dash by the steering column about right in front of where the left knee is. A small connector, just wrapped around another harness. One of the wires is yellow with a white stripe, the other is black with a white stripe.
Thanks
Old 10-04-2007, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bodo
Found it! It's straight up under the dash by the steering column about right in front of where the left knee is. A small connector, just wrapped around another harness. One of the wires is yellow with a white stripe, the other is black with a white stripe.
Thanks
I have been wanting to add some footwell lighting as well.
I think some people have this harness and some don't depending on your build date. I have searched and found no harness on mine which has a July 07' build date.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:09 AM
JK Newbie

Please show pictures and details when you are done. I'm thinking about adding these too.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bodo
Thanks
Anyone have pics on the install or the existing harness or anything that would help out? Id love to do this mod!
Old 08-04-2008, 01:01 PM
JK Freak

I don't know how this winded up being a new post but here goes. I don't have any pics but if you can contort your body, lay in the drivers side floor and look up towards the backside of the dash where your knees point. Look around the steering column and you should see a two wire connector not hooked to anything. The wire colors are in the post. I've had two back surgeries and I did it. Check it out and see what you find. Not sure about the 08's though.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:37 PM
JK Freak

Wink

Quick Reply: Which wire