Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring 4 work windshield lights

Old 09-24-2016, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring 4 work windshield lights

I have 4 work lights to install on my A-Pillar but I'm not sure the best way to wire. I have 1 flood and 1 spot light for each side. I'm thinking I need to wire each spot and each flood together then run to 2 separate wiring harness/switch. Am I on the right track?

Thanks

Sent from my Moto X Pure using JK-Forum
Old 09-24-2016, 11:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It depends on how you plan to use them. Having a switch for the spots and a switch for the floods will allow you to run one, the other, or both. If you don't think you will ever need both at the same time then you could use a single on/off/on switch instead of two. If your work will require lighting up one side and not the other then wire them that way.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

Ok, so it would be ok to wire all 4 lights together and then to the single wire harness and the single switch?

Old 09-24-2016, 11:52 AM
JK Junkie

Yes. As long as everything is properly sized. Doing it that way will be all on or all off only if that's what you want. Did they come with harnesses? How many amps do they pull? If you don't know the amperage do you know the wattage? Watts/Volts=Amps. Are you using relays?
Old 09-24-2016, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

I have a harness with a 40amp relay. I will need to check on combined amps pulling.
Thanks for all help.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:11 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MRatliff
I have a harness with a 40amp relay. I will need to check on combined amps pulling.
Thanks for all help.

Yes. You want to size your fuse based on the combined amperage. About 20-25% higher rating. Let me know if you need any help with how to wire it all.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

Ok. Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. Installing 20" light tomorrow. Will get to the other lights hopefully next weekend.

Mike

Old 10-07-2016, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MRatliff
Ok. Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. Installing 20" light tomorrow. Will get to the other lights hopefully next weekend.

Mike

Did you get them all wired up? How did it go? What switches did you use? I am going to be installing bumper and windshield KC lights using an A pillar switch panel with horizontal rocker switches. Not much wiring experience so searching the threads for others experience.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:24 AM
JK Junkie

Shawn, this may help. Depending on where you pull your switch power from you may need another fuse. Also, I prefer to just ground the accessories to the chassis but this will give you an idea of how to run the wires.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm figuring you're putting 2 cube LEDs on each side, is that right ? If so, their draw is minimal and most switches and harness will handle the double load. Knowing which lights, helps us to answer with specifics.

Quick Reply: Wiring 4 work windshield lights