Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

wiring an inverter - ground question

Old 05-25-2017, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wiring an inverter - ground question

I'm looking to wire up an inverter in the back of my JK and I'm trying to decide if I want to run ground all the way to the batter or just to the nearest chassis spot. Thoughts?
Old 05-25-2017, 10:23 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

I prefer to have a dedicated ground back to the battery with a high-draw item.

If you haven't already done so, look at a wire chart to determine appropriate wire gauge for the amp load and length of wire from battery and inverter.

Last edited by ronjenx; 05-25-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any particular reason why you want the line back to the battery? That's the way I used to run everything myself but never had any basis behind it apart from "I like to run everything back to the battery"

Inverter should not be sensitive to noise on the line nor should it introduce any noise into the line.

I did the wire/distance chart and I'm 6 ways one way half a dozen the other on 1 vs 2 lines to the battery.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:02 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by kejtar
Any particular reason why you want the line back to the battery? That's the way I used to run everything myself but never had any basis behind it apart from "I like to run everything back to the battery"

Inverter should not be sensitive to noise on the line nor should it introduce any noise into the line.

I did the wire/distance chart and I'm 6 ways one way half a dozen the other on 1 vs 2 lines to the battery.
I have seen high-draw items, grounded to the body, cause serious issues with other items that were also grounded through the body.

edit to add...

While I was out today, I stopped by a place that adds accessories to commercial and emergency vehicles.
When they install high draw items such as inverters or large flood lights, they always run the ground wires back to the battery. It ensures a better "ground".

I put the word ground in quotes because the electrons actually leave the battery through the negative post, and return through the positive post. So what you are really doing is ensuring a better power connection to the inverter.

Last edited by ronjenx; 05-25-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By drilling/connecting to a bolt, you are using the frame of the vehicle as a "return" to ground. With high current draw, especially on a large inverter, you are asking for electrical issues. If it is a small inverter, to power up a laptop or small load, you should be fine. Powering anything with high current draw, and you should run back to battery with a properly sized conductor for your application.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best practice is to follow the instructions for grounding that the manufacturer recommends. In most cases the manufacturer would recommend a chassis ground.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glocker21
Best practice is to follow the instructions for grounding that the manufacturer recommends. In most cases the manufacturer would recommend a chassis ground.
holy old thread Batman...

Quick Reply: wiring an inverter - ground question