Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring question for lights

Old 10-11-2008, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring question for lights

What's goin on ! I needed a hand with a time old and repeated topic here on the forum and that is that I wish to use my factory fog light switch on the blinker stalk and after reading the multiple threads I thought it was figured out. To no avail I installed a pair of Hella Black Magic on my new Mopar Off road bumper wire it up as said in the forum and I still get the flashing of the lights and then nothing. Need help, I used the harness that came with lights and using the relay as the picture on the thread here on the forum and still ? As far as I know #87 pin on the relay should be the trigger but ?
Old 10-11-2008, 01:37 PM
JK Freak

I believe 87 is the switched 12v power going to the lights (there may be two terminals marked 87 on the relay -- one for each light. 30 goes to the source of power for the lights, 86 goes to the switch and the other side of the switch, that does not go to the relay goes to a trigger source of 12v power. 85 goes to ground and you could carry the ground to the lights if you don't want to ground the lights individually.

I don't know how the factory switch on the turn stalk works -- for your sake I hope it is not multiplexed.

-meljr
Old 10-11-2008, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Easyryder01
What's goin on ! I needed a hand with a time old and repeated topic here on the forum and that is that I wish to use my factory fog light switch on the blinker stalk and after reading the multiple threads I thought it was figured out. To no avail I installed a pair of Hella Black Magic on my new Mopar Off road bumper wire it up as said in the forum and I still get the flashing of the lights and then nothing. Need help, I used the harness that came with lights and using the relay as the picture on the thread here on the forum and still ? As far as I know #87 pin on the relay should be the trigger but ?

trying to find the picture u r referencing... no luck. 30 is to the battery, and 87 goes to your new lights. if there is an 87a, it does not connect to anything that you could use. 85 to 86 is your trigger circuit. this is the control side of the relay. (low current) standard relays, are not even polarity sensitive. hook one side (85 or 86) to chasis ground and one side to "controllable" power. (ie: a switch) if it is polarity sensitive, i think 85 is your chasis ground.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Is this what your looking for?

Old 10-11-2008, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

that'll work!
Old 10-11-2008, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Wiring question for lights

I will give that a try tomorrow, I am at my brothers home in Lebanon, PA and I don't have my tools with me. Thank God I have the windshield lights and some poor fool is going to get blasted with those lights. I will get back to you guys and let you know how that turned out.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Easyryder01
I will give that a try tomorrow, I am at my brothers home in Lebanon, PA and I don't have my tools with me. Thank God I have the windshield lights and some poor fool is going to get blasted with those lights. I will get back to you guys and let you know how that turned out.
And I hope that some Pa cop stops you for not having your windshield lights uncovered while on the road, and provides you with a ticket that costs you $$$.
BTY some asshole blasted my wife with his aux lights one night on a dark country road. Blinded her for a bit and she ended up in a ditch on the side of the road. Our grand daughter was also in the Jeep. Thank God they were not hurt. The guy never even stopped, but luck would have it there was a cop traveling behind her a short distance that was blinded also.

Last edited by Lorrel; 10-14-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

why would you "blast" someone with your lights. does it make you feel all big and manly. especially those big tuff minivan drivers, they will think twice about driving in front of you on a public road again!!!
Old 10-15-2008, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you evryone for your help I now no longer in the dark, I am also sorry Lorrel for what happened to your wife I am actually scared of causing something like that for that same reason I said that some poor fool is going to get blasted because they are so bright and not that I would do it on purpose. Love my lights but don't like to cause injury. But I do love the crooked cops in the town that my brother lives in !!!!!

Last edited by Easyryder01; 05-22-2009 at 10:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Wiring question for lights