Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring a reverse camera, questions about tail light wiring

Old 04-14-2014, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring a reverse camera, questions about tail light wiring

I have a Pioneer AVH-x5500BHS head unit and I'm installing a backup camera. The radio has a feature to view the camera while in any gear, not just reverse. So I need a constant power source. I had planned on using the reverse light wiring on the tail light, but it's not constantly on.

Are any of the wires going to the tail light constantly being powered? Or will I just need to find another source?
Old 04-14-2014, 12:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could tap the switched power cigar lighter. It only works when the vehicle in on. On my 12 it is the one next to the ac controls. The one in the glove box is constant.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

Use the blue remote wire from the HU. It comes on when the radio does
Old 04-15-2014, 07:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 79cj12jk
Use the blue remote wire from the HU. It comes on when the radio does
The radio remote wire might not support the draw from the camera...If it did, fine...but i doubt it would. The blue remote wire is a low draw intended to merely switch on accessories that already have adequate power feed (like an amp).
Old 04-15-2014, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm probably going to run it off the 12v acc wire up front. It would just be so much easier to keep those wires in the back with the camera. Really didn't want to run wires again. Not too bad though.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Could it be run off the wire that goes to the lights? Then you could just turn on your lights and have power. If you have the function where you can set the lights to auto (my 2012 has this feature), it would essentially be powered as soon as you crank the vehicle.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldn't hook it up to be always on. Hook it to a switch that you can flip. Might burn out your camera.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2014, 09:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a Pioneer AVIC Z130BT in my last 4Runner. I installed a rear view camera on it as well. The camera itself needed the reverse light trigger wire so it could be activated once put into reverse. It also had the option to be manually turned on so you could see while behind you if you were trailering something, etc. I thought it was just an RCA cable that went to the radio, a trigger wire from the radio that you hooked up to a reverse light so it would automatically trigger it, and maybe a ground wire as well. That was about 2 years ago when I hooked it up...so I'm a little foggy.

Quick Reply: Wiring a reverse camera, questions about tail light wiring