Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

2008 JKUR driveway Hemi swap (on the cheap)

Old 07-27-2022, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 2008 JKUR driveway Hemi swap (on the cheap)

I'm a little bit into the swap already and should have started this a few weeks ago.
I got the Wrangler about 4 years ago, it was wrecked in the front, but had a clean title. I fixed all the damage and got it going. I put about 5k miles on it and decided to do a V8 swap. I went back and forth for a bit deciding between a 5.3 LS and 5.7L Hemi and finally deiced on the Hemi.
When the time and funds allowed I started buying the parts I'll need. I got JSS bolt-in engine mounts, trany plates and steering relocation brackets. I got the harness and computer from "hotwireauto".
Next I went looking for the donor vehicle and got a 2006 Jeep Commander with the Hemi. It was wrecked and not worth saving. Plus it's a Commander, so who cares, right?
The engine got a new oil pump, water pump, coils, plugs, timing chain, timing cover gaskets, rear main and a few other sensors and gaskets. The trany got all new sensors, solenoid pack and oil pan with a drain.

So far it's been pretty straight forward, I've only been working on a refresh on the engine and trany. The drivetrain has 160k miles, I started and ran the engine before pulling it and it seemed fine. I know that many miles is not good, but I just want to get it done and when the time comes, I'll pull the engine and rebuild it.

I'm at a stand-still for the next 2 or 3 weeks while I wait for the parts I need. I'll just post some pics of the progress so far and pick up in a more organized way.

And since I'm broke and cheap, I need to keep the costs at a minimum. On the flip side, I had all the money I needed to go all out, but I found a truck I really wanted and could not pass it up. The truck is a 2000, F350, crew cab, 4x4, V10, with 70k miles.... for half the KBB.
Here's a rough estimate of the money spent so far:
Engine and trany: $2000
Parts for the engine and trany: $2000. This includes a new cat-back exhaust. And I plan to make my own exhaust.
adopters: $1000
Harness and computer: $2000.
Other than that it's just been a lot of nickel and dime stuff. And we know how that can add up.

Previously, I rebuilt the axles on the jeep and put in 5.13 gears, locker by-pass, 2.5" lift and new shocks. I really like the Tera-flex lift and Fox 2.0 combo. The Jeep had great road manners, better than stock I'd say.
More to follow.
The hoses on the engine are to check for water leaks before it's installed. The outline on the fire wall is how much needs to be removed for the steering shaft relocation bracket to fit.

I'm gonna stop now and pick up in a more organized way as I progress.

Some pics.

Last edited by Junkyard junkie; 07-27-2022 at 06:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dinky Dau (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

Is that custom computer going to replace the existing Jeep one or is that an interface to make the Jeep gauges run like normal?
Old 07-28-2022, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's one of the advantages of going with a Hemi vs an LS is that everything JK wise is just plug and play. Everything will work as before. The new computer is from either a 2009 or 2010 Ram 1500. It will be reprogramed by "hotwireauto". There's nothing to interface like you would have to do with an LS. Gauges will work so will the remote start.

Edit:
Yes, it will replace the JK one.

Last edited by Junkyard junkie; 07-28-2022 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2022, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I like the temp and trans gauges mounted by the rear view mirror..PM sent.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dinky Dau
I like the temp and trans gauges mounted by the rear view mirror..PM sent.
The only issue with that is the rear view mirror just fits with no adjustment left. But it works for my size.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got the power steering reservoir set up today. I'm using the stock Commander PS pump with the JK reservoir. The problem with the PS pump was that the inlet faced towards the front of the engine and it would have made the connection to the reservoir a bit awkward.
I cut the mounting tab for the inlet and welded it in a spot where the inlet faces the PS reservoir. Then just made a simple bracket out of angle iron and mounted the reservoir. I think it should work out well.
And no pointing and laughing at my welds.

Old 07-29-2022, 03:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for you getting back with me!
Junkyard junkie (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

A quick post on the gauges and their senders. As we know the JK does not have a oil pressure gauge and I wanted one. There is a threaded and caped galley way on the Hemi, just by the oil filter, I removed the cap and put the oil pressure sender there on a 45 degree fitting. Don't know if the JK 3.8L has the same port or not. On the Hemi, this port is connected to the stock OP sensor passage, so I think it will work. The sender is wrapped in exhaust wrap since it's so close to the manifold. The manifolds will be getting heat shields also.
I also want to keep and eye on the trany temperature and for that I got this tee. It has compression fitting on either end and a threaded end on top for the sender. It will go in-line with the output side to the trany cooler line, as close to the trany as I can get it.

Last edited by Junkyard junkie; 07-29-2022 at 05:26 AM.
Dinky Dau (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the follow up,, I need all the help I can get. When I replaced the 3.8 with a Jasper re-man, I also installed a new radiator. I also installed a Trans cooler for insurance..

Last edited by Dinky Dau; 07-29-2022 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

A quick update on the transmission to transfer case adopter and the isolator bracket needed to make the stock automatic JK isolator (transmission mount) fit.
Just went through a long, drawn out headache trying to find a trany to T-case adopter that would fit the between the Commander trany and the JK 241OR. The problem I ran into was that the Commander had the Quadra Drive 2 system, this is essentially an all wheel drive and the adopter did not fit. I bought the AWD because I need the front diff to swap into my Grand Cherokee. So win some, lose some.

I had to go looking for an adopter that would work and after some trial and error (I'll spare the details) I found the adopter and the isolator mount I needed.
Adopter Mopar part # is: 52107719AC. From what I understand this adopter will also work with an 4x4 and 2x4 transmission, but confirm this for yourself, I'm not 100% sure on this.
Isolator mounting bracket that fits this adopter and the JK isolator is: 52013585AA. This is likely an old part number and has probably been replaced with a new number, but the part is the same.
Adopter and mount are about $450 new. I got both for a total of $100 used on ebay. ('cause I'm cheap. See post # 1)

It is important to get this right because the JSS trany mounting plates are designed around the stock JK isolator. So you either have to find parts that will work with the Jk isolator, or go at it from scratch and figure it out. Which is not that big of a deal, I was just in a mindset of making the trany plates work without modifying them.

There is a caveat. In one of Todd's video (the guy that owns JSS) he says that the stock JK auto trany isolator bracket is suppose to work. That did not work with the above adopter. So it still remains to be seen if the combo will work out. I won't know this till the engine and trany are test fitted. Even though everything fits now while the engine and trany are out of the vehicle, it may be a different story when they are mounted in place. If it works, great, if it doesn't then I'll make it work. I'm not changing it all out again. Yes, there's been some frustration with this adopter issue.

That's the next step. Engine and trany are done and ready for a test fit.
Sorry no pics, nothing that interesting about adopters. But it is important to know.

Last edited by Junkyard junkie; 09-05-2022 at 03:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 JKUR driveway Hemi swap (on the cheap)