Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

DIY Bed Liners

Old 02-21-2018, 08:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Bed Liners

Does anyone have any experience using the DIY Bed Liner's? I was considering the Herculiner brush on or the U-Pol Liner kit with Gun. Although I've never sprayed anything other than using a rattle-can, I am pretty mechanically inclined so I think I am capable of doing it. I was just looking for ya'lls experience as far as quality and longevity of the products. I have three jeeps I would like to do so Linex would be quite $$$.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I did the Herculiner on mine. My reason for roll/brush on was due to not having access to a forced air respirator system. Even with Herculiner you want to have a respirator the stuff stinks badly. If you roll/brush the liners looks very coarse and chunky. If you spray it's more of a fine texture. You can spray Herculiner, it just doesn't come with the gun like the Raptor liner kit does.

Here's a pic of mine. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...8/#post4304097

I know Resharp recently sprayed his in. Perhaps he will chime in.

Last edited by Seizer; 02-21-2018 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Added Link
Old 02-21-2018, 10:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Y, I just did the U-POL raptor liner over the holidays, and I'm very happy with the results. There are several threads about the raptor liner, and I found everything in them to be about spot on. It is all about the prep work regardless of what you use. Mine isn't really a DD currently, so I just took my time prepping over a couple weeks...in the evenings and weekends here and there. That part does indeed suck. I was just doing this in my garage, so I taped and plastic'd off everything, and hung big curtains of plastic to protect my garage. It was overkill. Outside of accidentally pulling the trigger while aimed at something, there's just not much overspray with that stuff. I have a 15G DeWalt compressor and it worked just fine. I actually wanted a pretty rough texture, so I shot at 30psi if I recall. The actual spraying process was easy. Easier than painting with rattle can. You can easily do a full 4-door jeep with the 4 bottle U-Pol kit, and probably have a bottle left over. I bought an 8 bottle kit as I was going to spray a whole storage compartment I have in back as well. I used 3 bottles on the jeep tub/tailgate. I probably could have used a 4th, but was afraid of overkill and getting it on too thick.

I'm very happy with the U-Pol. It's supposed to be UV resistant and not fad which is a bonus, cuz my top is off a lot and the Texas sun can be harsh. The ONLY thing I kinda wish is that it provided a bit of traction. Once cured, it doesn't have a lot of "grab" to keep something from sliding around or whatnot. My rear storage has pieces that fold forward, creating a completely flat surface in the back of my jeep. I was so glad to get rid of carpet due to dog hair, but now the surface is pretty slippery for my pooch. when going around a corner or whatnot, he doesn't have anything to grip in to and steady himself. I'll need to figure something out in that aspect. I have no worries about general durability though.

If you have the time to do this yourself, it is definitely worth saving several hundreds over having it done for you.

Here's a link to a google drive folder that has a few shots along the way in the process. I wasn't necessarily documenting the DIY, but you can see the texture I ended up with in some of the pictures.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...-V?usp=sharing

**edit - getting the sound deadening crap up was the biggest PITA IMO. I took a lot of time and got it completely up. I got it ALL....down to metal, then shot with self etching primer over that part.

Last edited by resharp001; 02-21-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for the invaluable information. I will definitely do it myself.

Quick Reply: DIY Bed Liners