Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

In need for tips on painting 2009 jku entire dash

Old 03-01-2016, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In need for tips on painting 2009 jku entire dash

I want to paint the dash of my wrangler black. i hate having it that faded black and gray. I can’t find a thread out there with a write up. If anyone seen one or picks or knows how to do it send them here. THANKS!
Old 03-01-2016, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be following this. Mine has faded bad too
Old 03-01-2016, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Krypton Fusion is god for plastic. But I actually re-did a Jeep power wheel for my son(bought used and pink) but I used some sort of interior plastic paint from Autozone that has held up extremely well.

Edit
Just looked it up. It is Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint. It has worked well and lasted surprisingly well.

Last edited by Da20captain; 03-01-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Da20captain
Krypton Fusion is god for plastic. But I actually re-did a Jeep power wheel for my son(bought used and pink) but I used some sort of interior plastic paint from Autozone that has held up extremely well.

Edit
Just looked it up. It is Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint. It has worked well and lasted surprisingly well.
How did you remove the entire dash and paint it piece by piece or did you just cover all the parts that you didn't want painted?
Old 03-01-2016, 02:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've tried to change the interior color on many vehicles over the years with limited success. Tried the simple Fusion paint to the multistep SEM process, and even OEM dye (on leather and vinyl). They all looked good when first done but didn't last. I'm saying that so you won't be so hopeful. Sorry.

The last thing I tried was changing my Jeep interior from spice to black. So far it has held up very well but it has only been about 3 months. Which is longer than everything else has held up except the OEM dye which is on a classic vehicle which I rarely drive and it was the same color, not a color change. Of all things, I used Rustoleum Bed Coating but again, the jury is still out.

Sorry not a JK but same deal to me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	YJ Refurb 002 (Medium).JPG
Views:	348
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	639343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior 002.JPG
Views:	464
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	639344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior 013.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	3.47 MB
ID:	639345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Center Console 03 (Medium).JPG
Views:	347
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	639347  
Old 03-01-2016, 04:15 PM
JK Newbie

14sport that looks so good. you did a great job with it, i just gotta figure out how to do that with my jk
Old 03-01-2016, 06:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by blackhawkspkane
14sport that looks so good. you did a great job with it, i just gotta figure out how to do that with my jk
The JK dash comes apart easier than the YJ. I would suggest pulling the pieces and coating them individually. Then re-assemble. The hard part is waiting for it to cure before re-assembly. Seventy-two hours with what I used but you need to read the can for what you use. Painting, whether it's your house or your Jeep, is all about prep. Remove any rust, not really an issue for you I believe. Remove any wax, oils, or polishes. I use M.E.K. which you can get at Home Depot since you live in FL. Wear gloves so you don't contaminate it again. Prime if your product requires it, which almost all do (the bed coating does not). Then patience. You've heard the old adage about watching paint dry? Yup, that is it. LET IT DRY!!!
Old 03-02-2016, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
The JK dash comes apart easier than the YJ. I would suggest pulling the pieces and coating them individually. Then re-assemble. The hard part is waiting for it to cure before re-assembly. Seventy-two hours with what I used but you need to read the can for what you use. Painting, whether it's your house or your Jeep, is all about prep. Remove any rust, not really an issue for you I believe. Remove any wax, oils, or polishes. I use M.E.K. which you can get at Home Depot since you live in FL. Wear gloves so you don't contaminate it again. Prime if your product requires it, which almost all do (the bed coating does not). Then patience. You've heard the old adage about watching paint dry? Yup, that is it. LET IT DRY!!!
How do you take off the top dash panel so i can paint that? Not the one above the radio in case you think I’m talking about that one.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by blackhawkspkane
How do you take off the top dash panel so i can paint that? Not the one above the radio in case you think I’m talking about that one.
Wow. You really are getting into it deep. I haven't taken that off my JK yet as I haven't had a need to. I just pulled the easy plastics but on my YJ I had to fold the windshield down to access screws.

Quick Reply: In need for tips on painting 2009 jku entire dash