Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Nick's build revision 3.0

Old 04-02-2017, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nick's build revision 3.0

Hey guys! New member here. I've gained a lot of information by lurking around here so I decided to just join and post some pics of my build. It's a 2007 Sahara. I bought it new 10 years ago and still love it. It currently has 62,000 mes and has been really reliable. Just basic maintenance stuff. I drove it as stock for about 5 years. Then I did some mods, we'll call this 2.0 and added some wheels and 285's. Also added Bushwhacker wide flares. Some other little stuff.Here she be prepped for surgery....

I was actually going to buy a new JK, but decided to just keep mine and do another revision. I've changed all the fluids, replaced the backing plates on the rear and finally got the E_brake to work good. Also front axle seals and brakes. Boring stuff really. But I also decided to do some fun stuff.

Here is the plan:

Teraflex 2.5" coil lift
Adjutable track bars
Bilstein shocks
315/70/17 Duratrac 's
Fuel off road beast 17×9 wheels with 4.5" BS

Bushwhacker factory coverage pocket flares
JW Speaker LED Headlights version J back
JW Speaker LED taillights black
JW Speaker fogs black
LED park/turn/third smoked
Satin Molar grill
Black grill inserts
Rock rails
Kentrol Stainless door hinges black wrinkle
Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper with stubby caps and brush guard

POR15 chassis

The parts have been rolling in. It's like Christmas around here!
Old 04-02-2017, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Luckily I have a work truck so I can take my time with this. I got it all jacked up on some stands. I have a bunch of jack stands kicking around...

Then I dropped down the axles front and back. It came apart pretty well. I'm in Buffalo NY and they use lots of salt in the winters here, makes for stubborn nuts. Other than the top shock nut which got treated with the Sawzall, it went well.

I cleaned up the chassis with a wire brush and scotch bright pads, then douched it all with POR15 cleaner degreaser on a wash mit, then hosed it off. I'm going let it all dry out good. Next weekend I'll POR15 the chassis and top coat it.

These are my new wheels. Should look pretty bad ass I think...

Old 04-07-2017, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

beautiful shop! nice jeep its going to look great
Old 04-07-2017, 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks!

I've been scrubbing the hell out of the frame with POR15 de-greaser. It's cleaning up pretty good. There were a few spots with heavy scale. I pounded it off and used some SEM rust converter. Everything is clean and ready for paint. Just letting it dry out a few more days.

Today I did some more maintenance. I changed the Mobil 1 oil and filter, tossed in a new air filter and changed the water pump. I was getting a little seepage out of the weep hole. I bought new Mopar pump from the dealer and some coolant. It turned out to be a pain because one of the bolts snapped. Drat! I welded on a nut to the remaining stud, but it just busted again flush with the cover. So I drilled and tapped it out.

Then I replaced the front and rear sway bar bushings. They were pretty spent. I took the time to clean up the sway bars too and lube the bushings. Nothing fancy, just factory replacements.

Now that the maintenance is complete I washed and clay barred it then hit it with some compound. It's nice without the flares and stuff to do a nice job. Then I installed the JWS tail lights and a new fuel fill plastic.

Also replaced the peeling bubbling door hinges with the Kentrol stainless ones. I sanded and painted the body side hinge as they were peeling too. Came out nice. I did notice the factory hinge busing are pretty shot. I ordered some derlin replacements.

Then the headlights, I also installed a smoked LED 3rd brake light...

My door handles were getting pretty crusty. I'd wipe them with trim black every wash or two and they just keep getting worse. I replaced them with some new ones. Looks so much better...

Last edited by nichas900; 04-08-2017 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Installed the Teraflex forged adjustable track bar.

Also mounted the brackets for the high mount Rancho steering stabilizer.

Then I started the POR15.

Also got some new hood latches to replace the old faded ones.

While I was waiting for coats to dry I cleaned out the interior and added some entry guards and weather tech floor mats.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:40 PM
JK Newbie

The POR15 came out nice. I managed to not get any on me. Which is a bonus...

Old 04-11-2017, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

New front and rear rotors and pads. I painted the rotor hats and calipers with caliper paint.

Teraflex 2.5" spring lift ready and accounted for. I just added new sway bar links for the front and new bump stops. My old ones looked like old styrofoam.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:00 PM
JK Newbie

Lift kit installed with Bilstein shocks. Nice kit. Very complete.

Tomorrow the new fender flares will go on. Getting close.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Got my Rugged Ridge Modular XHD bumper all sorted. I'm going with stubby end caps, a short brush hoop and JW Speaker fogs. It looks real nice. Finish is great.

I deleted my step-up running boards and went with Barricade Rubi rails. The finish matches the bumper well. Very happy with them.

I went with a satin finish Mopar grill. I used LED turn SIG's and a honey comb grille inserts.

Also added a Rugged Ridge hood and tailgate protectors. Both had some chips. This will do until I get a new hood, or get mine painted. It actually looks really good with the satin grill.

Then I installed the Derlin hinge bushings. Doors are super smooth now! No more squeaks.

The factory coverage Bushwhacker fenders are on. Just about ready to fit the wheels for the first time. I sure hope it fits out of the garage lol.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

I replaced my rear bumper with a factory replacement. Mine had some dings and dents. I might get a steel rear with tire carry down the road. But I like the factory rear bumper well enough. The 315 spare fits just perfect with it. It has just enough contact with the bumper cutout to help support it, but not make it tough to close the tailgate.

I already have a Corsa DB exhaust. But I didn't really like the long stainless tips. Replaced them with some black units. They are a few inches shorter and look perfect.

Then I fit up the wheels. I really like them a lot.

Here is how the exhaust looks now with the new bumper and spare on.

Quick Reply: Nick's build revision 3.0